Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chins and Dogs  (Read 1428 times)

FranklintheChin

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chins and Dogs
« on: February 28, 2013, 01:52:12 AM »

Now I have seen some YouTube videos with dogs and chins getting along, and I'm not necessarily looking for that. I was just looking for some tips from others that might have both. I have an almost two year old male chin named Franklin and his sister is a cocker spaniel named Genevieve. We have had Franklin since he was about 4 months old, and he is such a good boy!! We have had Genevieve since August and she turned one in December. I wasn't really sure how to go about socializing them at all. We usually hold one and then let the other check them out. They both seem to be very curious of each other. Franklin is kept in our office (where we actually spend a lot of time) and we have a baby gate up so that we can keep Gen. away when needed. When she does come in she always goes to sniff him, I then tell her to sit and she does. But I'm telling you Franklin intestines her! He comes up to the walls of the cage and bounces back and forth and sticks his nose out to check her out. He never seems stressed. I don't plan on letting them both loose and run around since she is a hunting/working breed (we also do not allow any toys that are stuffed animals/ we don't want her to get any ideas!!!!) Just wondering what others with both Chins and Dogs do as far as socializing and contact.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Chins and Dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:52:19 AM »

It really depends on the dog.  Most chinchillas don't realize how small they are and are curious about other animals.  Having them come up to the cage is no problem unless they are going to be barking at the chin or running around the cage trying to get at it.  I know people who let their chinchillas out to play around their dogs  BUT these are CALM dogs that don't have that chase instinct.  I do know of one case where a chinchilla got out and was chased by a cat.  The owner was right there and saw the whole thing.  The cat never touched the chinchilla but the fear of the chase upset the chin so bad it collapsed and died.

So, do allow your dog around the chin cage if he behaves.  Don't allow your chinchilla out around the dog unless he is leashed and well behaved around rodents.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:12:43 AM »

why even take a chance? sure, there are some videos on youtube and it looks cute but you must really ask yourself what is the point? Our dog is alright with the chinchilla around the cage but i would never in a million years let them out in the same room. It only takes a second and thats it...and if something did happen what would it all be for? the sake of being able to say awwww how cute? i wouldnt risk it.

FranklintheChin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »

Well I'm not wanting to let them run around together both lose. I just though if maybe we could get them comfortable together with one being held and the other one lose (especially since Franklin the Chin always seems so curious.) So we tried some socializing, I held my cocker and opened the door of the cage and Franklin jumped right out on the ledge and started checking her out, all up in her face! Then we opened the bottom door so I could sit with my dog. ( We had done this before and it went well!) So he came out and again was all up in her face, NOT ONCE did she move, she just set there and let him check her out, then he jumped and bit me on my arm and ran off. So I guess we wont be trying that again.

Snickerdoodlesmom

• Proud mom of Snickerdoodle
  • Appreciation points: 11
  • # of Chins: One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »

Does he normally bite?
- Dvora, Snickerdoodle's Momma

FranklintheChin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:40:17 AM »

No he doesn't. And I was surprised because like I said my dog was sitting perfectly still and letting him do whatever. I was hoping that if he got to check her out that when she comes in the room he wouldn't bounce off the walls. And it's not that he is scared or anything, he literally encourages her to come see him. Maybe we might just take it slower. 

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »

Is your chinchilla bonded well with you?  It might have been a jealous bite.  You were holding the dog and not him!   ;)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

FranklintheChin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »

I can't believe I didn't think about that. My dog kinda does that around other dogs. I am bonded with him, but he is much closer with my husband. But I can see that.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:38:17 AM »

Some chins don't like other chins even, so not out side the realm of possibility that your chin just does not like the dog.
That said my maltipoo thinks it's his job to look after all  my critters, chins, buns GP's hamsters, birds. what ever. He will sit with it, follow it around and the buns will even play with him. some of the chins groom him.
Debbie.nl.ca

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »

Here is one with a little white violet I had to hand feed, Chance would stimulate it for me by licking. No matter how small my dog will never hurt another animal. and one with my dove.
It all depends on how well trained your dog it.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up