Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New chins and travel  (Read 533 times)

Frostbound

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New chins and travel
« on: March 10, 2013, 12:18:07 AM »

Hello! So I have two separate questions.

I have been working a lot more recently, and between that and school have been thinking that it might be good to get my chinchilla (a female) a playmate. The cage I intend to use has three levels, is 28" both tall and wide, and 16" deep. If I clean it thoroughly enough and the chins get along, will this cage be big enough?

Secondly, as it turns out, I am moving from America to England in about a year and a half. I've read in other posts on here that chinchillas can survive plane rides, so I was planning on bringing mine as a carry-on (some airlines allow this) in a small cat carrier. Would this work? And if I did end up getting a second chin, would it still work? A flight to England is about eight hours, if that affects anything. I know it will be stressful for them but I could never give them up.

Thanks!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: New chins and travel
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »

Your cage will work once they are bonded and the plane ride will be just fine if your airline allows chinchillas as a carry on.

That said, you will need two cages to start with when you get a new chinchilla.  Females are dominate which means getting two girls together is harder than two boys.  You will need to keep them in side by side cages for awhile and then slowly introduce them over time.
Here is a link to more details on introducing:

http://www.lowcountrychinchillas.com/addingchins.shtml

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up