Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dolce and Gabana only love each other  (Read 2034 times)

farrahkatz

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Dolce and Gabana only love each other
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »

I recused my two chins when they were 5 weeks.  I thought that they were both males but I learned that I have one male and one female.  He is neutered.  I play with my chins everynight they run around my chin proof room for 1 to 2 hours or they go in their ball.  They really don't like to be pet or picked up.  What am I doing wrong?  Now they are 10 months and they are super spoiled.  They don't have a favorite treat and I don't know how to make them friendlier. 
Any advise???

Crimson_Ham

• View Profile
Re: Dolce and Gabana only love each other
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »

The only advice I can give is to be patient. For some it takes longer than other to be ready to trust people again. It's taken 8 months for me to get Xochitl and Sorely to let me pet or pick them up even some of the time. I got them as rescues but they were older than 5 months. Anyway... Good luck and lots of patience and well wishes. :)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:26:23 AM »

You can try to open the cage door and putting our and by it and see if the sniff it or run up your arm, That worked pretty good for me. You could also lay on the ground during play time and let them jump and climb on you.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »

I like to stuff them in my fleece/sweater/jacket and let them run around. I start it with kits.
They learn my scent, and learn the safety of being with me.
If they want to play in there I'll hold my arm out straight and they will run down the sleeve and poke their head out at my wrist.
They'll run back and out goes the other arm.
They'll climb all around me inside, and poke their heads out with mine.
I'll get kisses, and groomed just as though I was one of them.
I do this to all babies long before they are big enough to run on the chin room floor, at between 4 & 6 months old.
Debbie.nl.ca

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:05:36 AM »

Thats a great idea!

Courtney

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »

I like to stuff them in my fleece/sweater/jacket and let them run around. I start it with kits.
They learn my scent, and learn the safety of being with me.
If they want to play in there I'll hold my arm out straight and they will run down the sleeve and poke their head out at my wrist.
They'll run back and out goes the other arm.
They'll climb all around me inside, and poke their heads out with mine.
I'll get kisses, and groomed just as though I was one of them.
I do this to all babies long before they are big enough to run on the chin room floor, at between 4 & 6 months old.

That is what I do with my chins. They feel safe in there. When I first get chins this is how I get them used to me. When I was raising a baby Peeps she was always in my shirt and quite happy there. They feel safe.

Just be patient. they will be skittish for a while, you are not doing anything wrong. Just take your time with them. Sit right down with them and let them crawl on you. You can also give them treats. I sit on a pillow with them in the chin room. They will come to you. Just give it time.
Six Chinchillas<br />Two Jack Russell Terriers<br />Two Parrots<br />Four Fish Tanks

Heather

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 07:10:32 AM »

We got our two from a rescue when they were about 4, and we are their 4th home, so it took a while for them to trust us. Neither like being held (although Toby is easier to pick up than Sammy), but I lie on the floor during playtime and they use me as a climbing frame! I also don't wear shoes or socks, as they like to groom my feet. Toby likes having his tummy tickled when he's in his cage, but Sammy pushes me away (he's such a diva!) - chins have different personalities and some just aren't that affectionate. It makes it double special when they climb on you or give you a kiss though! I've also found that they climb on me more if I've been away for a night or two (leaving them in my husband or parent's capable hands of course), so they must love me really!
Pages: [1]   Go Up