Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A New Cage  (Read 1991 times)

whiskey87

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
A New Cage
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:35:46 PM »

Hello! I'm new to this board, so please forgive me if I don't post this in the right place.  I also assume this is a popular topic, so I'm sorry if this question has been asked a million times (I tried to do a search through old threads, but couldn't find any that answered my question. ;) )

I'm looking to find a bigger cage for my male chin (Gizmo).  I have a friend who is willing to sell me her lightly used, 2-story Ferret Nation for $100 (which is a steal for this cage).  Before I buy it, I wanted to make sure that a FN is an acceptable cage for a chin.

I know that I will have to change the ramps from wire slats to something solid.  I am also wondering if there is a way to change the bottom pans to something deeper so it will actually hold his bedding. 

Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

LindyLu

• View Profile
Re: A New Cage
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »

Yes they are acceptable cages! They're awesome!
You can actually completely remove the ramps. Chins JUMP, they don't need ramps! You can hook ledges at different levels to help the chins get from the bottom to the top.

I know there is a company that sells stainless steal pans and specializes in sizes....I can't remember the site though...anyone?

I kept the plastic trays in because I don't use bedding (I use fleece blankets...I just tuck them around the entire tray). But their poop gets flung out a lot. I'd like to get deeper trays, but haven't wanted to invest enough to actually DO it. lol

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:15:02 AM »

I have used Plexiglas, cardboard strips, and rabbit urine guards to help keep shavings in.  Plexiglas is the more expensive choice but sometimes you can get the home improvement stores to custom cut them for you.  Cardboard is the cheapest way but it need replacing frequently.  Rabbit urine guards can be bought from feed stores and many pet stores and, while you might not find a perfect fit, will help a lot!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:45:58 AM »

those cages are awesome and you did get a great deal.

the name of the place that sells the replacement pans is called bassequipment.com.  i think for the bottom one it is about 14, i dont' have the middle shelf in so i don't know who much that one is. they are actually for the FN142.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

whiskey87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »

Thank!!