Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping chinchillas without a cage?  (Read 4840 times)

wmd

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Keeping chinchillas without a cage?
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:12:54 AM »

Hello! I'm new to chinchilla forums and this is my first post.  ::nod::

I don't actually own any chins but have wanted to for years; my parents don't like pets and would never allow me to keep them at their house.

However at last I have my own place and I'm looking to adopt a pair of chins.

Only problem is that I'm living in a shared house and would have to keep them in my bedroom.

There is no room for a large cage, so I was wondering if it would be possible for me to-

- Keep chins in a small(ish) cage and try to to give them as much time out and about the house as possible.

OR

- Keep chins living free in my bedroom, giving them a space on top of a wardrobe as a bed.

I think I might be being a bit unrealistic, I'm guessing that chins will chew wires and make a general mess if left alone in a room?
Or is there a way to chinchilla-proof a room?  ::think::

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if it is to say that its all a bad idea and I should wait till I get a new house with more space.

Will

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Keeping chinchillas without a cage?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:02:15 AM »

A closet maybe, a whole room!!!! It would have to be empty or the furniture made of steel  ;)
Yes they will chew anything & everything, and will climb, jump, ricochet into things & places unsafe.If you had a small room with nothing in it, not even a baseboard, you might be OK. But they still need a safe haven, houses & places to hide & sleep in. Then what if someone opened the door   ::scaredspeachless::
Stick with a cage, safer!   ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

flynhawaiian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:51:03 AM »

Chinchilla's running through the house, oh what fun.  We bought a net because they run to fast.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:14 PM »

you want to watch your chin while he's out for playtime, for they can get into and will get into everything.. and will get hurt.

can you fit something the size of a large rabbit cage.  put many safe ledges in for him to jump around, a wheel, and comign out an hour a day will be fine.. i have a few small cages on my sight, see if they would fit in your room.. personally, i wouldn't go smaller...  but that is me.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

wmd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:56:08 AM »

Thanks for the advice, I won't consider keeping chins running free in my room anymore!  ::silly::

I'll have a look at getting a cage instead, might be room for a big rabbit hutch sized one...

LindyLu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:40:12 PM »

It's true! They get into EVERYTHING! I clear everything out of my bathroom for Daisy's free run..and she still manages to pull the carpet from under the doorway, pull the caulking up from around the toilet base, chew up all the baseboards, cupboards, and even the little tip on the stringy door stop! Plus they can not control their bowels, so even if you train them to pee in a pan, they will still poop all over the place. Want poopy pellets in your bed? lol

I'd get as big a cage as possible for your room....then make sure they get plenty of supervised free run.

wmd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 01:37:12 PM »

Thanks again for the advice, I've decided to buy a proper large chinchilla cage after all!

Pages: [1]   Go Up