Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: will cheeches hair grow back?  (Read 1976 times)

loveshercheech

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
will cheeches hair grow back?
« on: May 18, 2009, 08:21:39 PM »

Hi I'm new to the forum, and I have a few questions to ask...Okay here it goes, I'm gonna try not to make it too long lol...My first question is, has anyones chinchilla ever get like an abscess on their throat? Mine did so I took it to the vet and he lanced it for us and asked us to come back for a check up so we did today and he will be inserting a drain tube tomorrow. My other question is...when the vet lanced it, cheech now has a bald spot and he will tomorrow too. Will his hair grow back?

Thanks for any info!!!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: will cheeches hair grow back?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »

::silly::
...My first question is, has anyones chinchilla ever get like an abscess on their throat? Mine did so I took it to the vet and he lanced it for us and asked us to come back for a check up so we did today

I've never heard of that.  Did the vet tell you what caused or might have caused the abscess in his throat? 

and he will be inserting a drain tube tomorrow. ...

Where will the fluid from the abscess drain to in the tube?

My other question is...when the vet lanced it, cheech now has a bald spot and he will tomorrow too. Will his hair grow back?

Did you ask the vet why Cheech developed a bald spot?   If I had to guess, I would think it was due to what ever they used to restrain him and/or hold his head in place and/or his mouth open.  I'll be interested to know what the vet says.

In the dealings I have had over the years, most of the chins that have a bald spot, do grow the fur back in that area.  Just keep in mind, it could take up to 9 months for it to grow back.

Is the doctor going to put him on antibiotics?

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

loveshercheech

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »

Hey Jo Ann, Thanks for responsding to my questions...The drain tube is in there to just to keep the 2 little insistions open so they don't heal too fast cause that's what happened last time the lance healed before we could flush it out so the drain tube is to help keep it open so we can flush the puss out. The vet said that the hay may have got stuck in his mouth and poked him in the mouth but we really don't know what caused it cause it was like an over night thing, it was really weird. Yes my vet did put him on anti-biotic for 14 days I believe in his mouth and we have to flush the insistions for so many days and we have to take him back in 7-10 days for a check up and to remove the drain tube then we will have to dr. it again for so many days I'm sure..We are hoping this got it all cause if not then he will have to remove the lemphnodes in there and we are trying to avoid that. I think he may have got it all this time though, Its still hard to say though cause he's swollen still. I took some pics. but I cant figure out how to upload them yet, but I will figure it out. LOL.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:09:48 AM »

::silly::    Wow, you didn't mention this was the second go around for this same thing  ...  Glad to hear Cheech is doing good.  Sounds like you've got a good vet ... you have to be extra careful with chins ... they are so little and their systems can be so delicate.

Was Cheech on antibiotics last time?  If not, you may want to read this article: "Don't Let the 'Cure' Kill Your Chinchilla"  at:  http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/  It's something you might want to discuss with your vet.  I wrote the article after a bad experience with a chinchilla who died.  Several people have also contacted me over the years with similar problems ... 'the operation was successful, but the patient died'.  The subject addressed is a 'complication' often found when a chinchilla goes through surgery or any time they may have to go on antibiotics.

Keep in mind, we are not vets here, we are just chinchilla lovers with lots of experience we want to share to help those who may need it.  Also, note on the opening page of the Luv 'N Chins II site, the statement:    " These articles are not, by any means, meant to be a substitute for your vet.   Your vet has the medical training and knowledge of your chin and other chins to help you and your little one!"     :)   

Keep us posted on Cheech's recovery!

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S.  If you will e-mail me the pictures, (joannfryeb2@cox.net) I will post them for you.  OR  you can post them by clicking on: "Additional Options" then on "Browse" which will allow you to search your "My Pictures" file.  There you can click on the picture to up load it.  Keep in mind, there is a 128 KB total limit for the pictures, per post. 
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 08:22:09 AM »

I had a female with a bad one on the side of her face around her eye. I was thinking her cage mate groomed a tad hard and it got infected.
It healed fine and yes the fur all grew back. It only happened once.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up