Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kit dragging his legs?  (Read 1525 times)

eringoesmoo

• Appreciation points: 2
  • RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
Kit dragging his legs?
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »

My Jasmine had 3 little babies on the 16th. They were all doing really well until I noticed last night that the little beige boy was dragging his legs when he "walked". I thought it was just one, but now it seems like its both. There are no signs of wounds or boo boos so i'm not really sure what to think. He lost weight and Jasmine stopped feeding him (he can't chase her around), so i've been feeding him a formula. He has plenty of energy but he can't move.

What to do?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Kit dragging his legs?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:27:44 AM »

The only time I've seen anything like that is when one of my older kits jump from the top of his cage and damaged his spine. He was paralyzed from the waist down. The vet tried a steroid shot as nothing showed up on the ex-ray. It didn't help and he was chewing his feet off as he couldn't feel them.
I'm sure others may come up with some other causes, but it doesn't sound good.
Get him to a vet, and prepare yourself. OK  :hugs:
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:47:58 AM »

It does not sound good for your little one.  I would get him to a vet like Debbie suggested ... a.s.a.p. and be prepaired for the worst.
When a momma chin rejects a kit, usually she knows there is something wrong with it that will cause it to soon pass away.  Mother nature gives this blessing/curse to most wild animals.  Usually, but not always, this is the reason she will reject it ... most of the time she is correct, but I have been able to pull a few (very few) through with supplemental feedings and care.
As far as you trying to take over for mom ...
Please read: "The First Signs Of Trouble"  at: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/

CAUTION:  Some moms that have rejected a little one, due to injury or illness, and know they will probably die, will often just keep moving away from it ... BUT ... some will go ahead and kill it ... not out of cruelty, but to keep it from having to suffer.   Sooo ... if you are already feeding it and mom has rejected it ... you might want to house it separately ... keep it warm and fed ... hold it, love it, but be prepaired to have to say good bye.  This is the hardest part of being a breeder.   ::cry222:::

Please keep us posted.

Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »

I agree with all above, sometimes handfeeding will work, but in those cases mom hasn't usually rejected the kit, but for some reason was unable to nurse. I have never been able to pull a kit through that has been completely rejected. Mom usuall knows something is wrong. If mom were still grooming and caring I would say there is hope, but they will reject a kit that is ill or injured especially if there are other babies to care for
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up