Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pesty small flies..YUCK!!  (Read 2952 times)

chinchilla.nikki

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla  Estates
Pesty small flies..YUCK!!
« on: May 16, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with those small pesty flies?  I clean my cages regularly (bedding & washing of cages).  I have a pest control company come every 3 months & treat my home with animal friendly sprays.  My daughter has chins at her home also & she is having the same problem despite regular cleaning.  The company said the only other thing they know to try is spraying with "pyrithic" which could be harmful to the chins.  The chins would need to be removed from the area to be treated but could be brought back in later after everything dries.  They have this problem at restaurants, buffets in particular.  After closing time all the food is removed & they go in & spray.  Sometimes it takes 3 attempts to get rid of them.  Anybody out there ever experience this problem.....it really is starting to irritate me.  I have a newborn baby in my house ( I just became a GREAT Grandma   ::nod:: & I want them gone!!!  I will make sure the baby is not in the house either when they spray.      Thanks
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 04:39:36 PM by chinchilla.nikki »
Chinchilla Estates******Jane, Ricke & Petra
   Caring family of chinchillas

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Pesty small flies..YUCK!!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:12:28 AM »

Nope never had a problem like that, but I know there are many kinds of these little flies. Some or most go for dampness, & old food left around. I've seen some around my house plants, and even bought strawberry's to my Dad in the hospital that either attracted them or they came in on them.
I'd make sure humidity wasn't the problem.
Make sure the feed is not attracting them. If it sits on the floor in one spot in feed bags they could be collecting under the bag.
I have to be very careful as I buy everything in bulk. So feed has to be off the floor, hay too. Making sure air can pass all around it.
Cages need to be stripped a couple of times a year, it's amazing what collects in little crooks and crannies.
Concrete floors sweat so if things are not moved around regularly bugs will find there way in.
I am spring cleaning my chins room now so I will let you know if I find any suprises. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

chinchilla.nikki

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla  Estates
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Humidity is not a problem.  All my food is in air tight containers. They are not on concrete floors.  The next thing I'll be doing is taking the cages outside....it's time to blast them with the hose & scrub them.  It's getting done late this spring cause I had some major surgery & there is no one else to do it.  I moved them all today & closed them in another room while the pest control came & sprayed.  I can't believe the difference!!  Hardly none left.  They said it might take 3 attempts to totally get rid of them.  So between that & scrubbing the cages, I'm sure they will be gone.  Little boogers.  They are just awful!!
Chinchilla Estates******Jane, Ricke & Petra
   Caring family of chinchillas

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »

Yes there is nothing more irritating than a pest around the house.
Hope all stay away.

I seem to have a mouse in the house  ;D and it's driving my cat nuts. I can hear it running over my head in the basement bathroom. Sometimes the cat hears it in the ceiling of the main floor and runs back and forth the width of the place chattering.
It has never come in the house just runs through the inners.
I wonder if I cut a hole somewhere and let the cat in   :D
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up