Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What color is this chin?  (Read 2889 times)

eringoesmoo

• Appreciation points: 2
  • RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
What color is this chin?
« on: May 17, 2009, 02:32:36 PM »

Jasmine (hetero beige) had her very first litter of chins yesterday. She had 3 beautiful healthy babies (I GOT TO WATCH!). The father is CHi CHi(white mosaic). The first baby is a standard grey female, the second one was a beige male, but i'm not sure of the third one. She's white but she has a few beige hairs and pink ears. Her tail is silver at the base but the rest is white. What could she be?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: What color is this chin?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:36:06 AM »

::silly::   Can you post pictures?

The pink ears (having had a beige mom) ... I would say the third one is a beige ... but with the description ...
She's white but she has a few beige hairs and pink ears. Her tail is silver at the base but the rest is white. What could she be?

(having a white mosaic dad and a beige mom)  With the silver at the base of the tail and the mixture of colors ... it sounds like a mosaic .... BUT ... mosaics have dark ears and dark pads on their feet ... beiges have pink ears and pink pads on their feet.   ::think::

:::idea:::  A pink white is technically a beige/white cross ... If it were one of mine ... I'd have to call it a "pink white with intresting marbled coloring", but technically I would think it would be considered a beige/white cross.   Often as the kits get older the beige will darken or lighten.

In a sanctioned chinchilla show, according to the rules, a chinchilla having any white fur on it (at the time of the show), other than just on the belly, would have to be shown in with the whites and it would be considered a beige/white cross, commonly called a 'pink white'.  This is one of those ... can't wait to see what it looks like a year from now!    :::grins::

8)    Jo Ann

PS I also checked out Silverfalls Chin-Cross Calculator which gave me these results for kits born to your pair with their coloring:
Chinchilla Breeding Results for
Sire: White (Mosaic or Silver)
Dam: Beige (Hetero)

Kits: Beige (Hetero) - 25.00% ... Pink White (Hetero Beige) - 25.00% ... Standard Gray - 25.00% ... White (Mosaic or Silver) - 25.00%

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:14:33 AM »

Yes I would love to see a picture. I've been trying for a pink white for 2 years now. No luck yet  :doh:
Debbie.nl.ca

eringoesmoo

• Appreciation points: 2
  • RIP Lollita
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »

Hey! Thanks for the replies! She seems to be getting darker beige and whiter white  ::shrug::
Also, I took her outside in the light and her eyes were blue like her father's...i'm SO confused.

Sorry for taking so long, but here are some pics taken about 2 minutes ago  :::grins::

Hope those are good :)

Also, I hate to throw this question in here, but her brother who is obviously beige is having a leg problem. He has no wounds and he shows no pain, but he's dragging his right leg behind him and he just looks pathetic when he walks. He's started to loose weight, so we've been rotating him, any idea what the problem is?

EDIT: Did the pics not work? Hmm..I uploaded them to my gallery, so go there :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:01:58 PM by eringoesmoo »

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 05:26:26 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that the one is dragging a leg...I'm clueless as to breeding and such...So I'm no help period...just wanted to say that lil' one of yours is darling! A real cutie that's for certain. ::silly::
~Darlene

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 06:56:30 AM »

::silly::  Looks like a pink white (Beige/white cross) to me.   :::grins::   I'll stick to my first one: I'd have to call it a "pink white with intresting marbled coloring" Cute, too!  ... I have even heard a few at shows refer to them as a beige mosaic.

Hey! Thanks for the replies! She seems to be getting darker beige and whiter white  ::shrug::
Also, I took her outside in the light and her eyes were blue like her father's...i'm SO confused.

Also, I hate to throw this question in here, but her brother who is obviously beige is having a leg problem. He has no wounds and he shows no pain, but he's dragging his right leg behind him and he just looks pathetic when he walks. He's started to loose weight, so we've been rotating him, any idea what the problem is?

EDIT: Did the pics not work? Hmm..I uploaded them to my gallery, so go there :D

Ahhh you have one of the rare 'blue eyed' chins!   I have 2, but they are both white mosaics.  You're the first I heard of that has a pink white with blue eyes ... usually the pink whites have red eyes.   You have a very rare jewel there!

What size cage are the kits in?  Sounds like an injury of sorts ... one that needs to be checked out with a vet ... a.s.a.p. ... especially if he is loosing weight ... not a good sign ... you have a kit that is in trouble.

You may want to consider supplement feedings.  We use goat's milk.  As strange as it may sound ... keep the female full with the supplement feedings ... this will leave more natural chinchilla-milk from the mom for the little male.  UNLESS ...

Watch them carefully ... if you see any signs of the mother rejecting the male kit ... remove him and start supplemental feedings.  Here's an article with videos that may help: "First Signs of Trouble" at:  http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/

::wave::   Jo Ann

Keep us posted!

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »

A shoot I can't see them, I wonder why?????/
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »

::silly::  I've tried to up load eringoesmoo's pictures ... let's see if this works.   ::)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 12:49:40 PM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »

Well is that isn't just the cutes.
Thanks Jo Ann.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up