Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchilla broke her front paw/leg. Need advise  (Read 30173 times)

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
My chinchilla broke her front paw/leg. Need advise
« on: February 10, 2008, 02:57:40 PM »

Ok, looking at the top you would assume I still have her. My parents are taking her to the emergency vet clinic right now as we speak. It was just hanging loose and as she tried to move she wouldn't use it. No blood, it looks like it probably either pulled loose or broke. What should I expect and what changes might I have to do to her cage? She has a 3 level cage, a house she mostly chews on but likes to sleep in sometimes, and I just want to know incase they send her home with the funnel around her head oor whatever else. She started to love her wheel also and I want to have it ready for when she comes home.

She broke it while jumping around, she jumped and got it caught on a folding chair I was sitting in but got down to play with her on, I was able to get it loose without, I think, causing much damage but it's limp and she was really screaming the entire time but stopped the minute I got her paw loose. Is there a chance she didn't break it and I am lucky? I am very worried right now and was thinking this sunday afternoon was going to good.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:06:25 PM by shadowborne »

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: My chinchilla broke her front paw/leg. Need advise
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 03:32:41 PM »

Oh the poor little thing.  It's not a good weekend for chinchilla's (at least ours!). I don't know anything about that topic, but I'm wholeheartedly wishing you and your little one the best of luck!! :-\

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 04:51:23 PM »

Have an update, she has no feeling or function in that leg and it looks like amputation, they recommended putting in pins and I really need a suggestion. I am looking at possibly going over on all my credit cards to get this fixed as my parents don't have an income coming in anymore and want suggestions. DO I get it amputated or do I put her down?

Please give opinions, it's hard to think about it.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 04:55:18 PM »

I just did some quick research on the net, and it seems that many chinchillas can do just fine with an amputated leg!  You will need to make a few modifications to the cage, like lower shelves for she won't be able to hop as far, but she can adapt very easily.

This is a big decision, go with your heart.  Mine goes out to you.  I'll do a little more research and update you again soon.

Beth

• View Profile

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »

As Claire says, pinning the thin bones of chinchillas is rarely successful, but it does sometimes work.
Usually most vets will opt for amputation or plastering if the bones are still in alignment and the break is a simple fracture.
Compound fractures usually end with amputation but there are many chins running around on three legs successfully.

The main things to consdier post operation are :
pain relief
reduction of inflamation - both these are usually treated with metacam orally.
a low height cage so that the chin cannot put too much pressure on the back legs by trying to stgand on the hind legs too often.
a soft bed inside the cage floor so that it doesn't put a foot through the mesh and strain an already injured limb
check ups to make sure the limb is healing
if the broken bones penetrated the skin then there's a risk of infeciton so antibiotics will probably have been given. These can also destroy the good gut bacteria and uspet the flora balance making the chin less likely to eat. Probiotics and tempting treats will ensure gut peristalsis continues and the chin carries on eating
stress from the operation may cause major problems with other parts of the body systems and so the chin should be kept quiet, warm and in as miuch of the same routine as before the operation (apart from the physical aspects of previous days)
if it has a cage mate there is a fine line between leaving them together for company, and risking injury caused by the other chin bouncing around the cage - discuss the options with your vet if this applies and decide on the best choice
cannibalism - a chin whose leg is causing pain, or there is infection in the bone may start to eat the leg - you will need a tiny elizabethan collar to prevent this causing major problems if it starts to chew
keep a close eye on the other hind limb, especially the soles of the feet if the chin is only using the goo leg, weighty chins can get bumblefoot from wire cages plus extra weight and a chin putting all of its weight on one hind limb may have the same syptoms later on if it doesn't use both limbs after a while

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 05:00:06 PM »

Beth

• View Profile

Beth

• View Profile

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »

Both bones in the FRONT left leg are broken and they said they could try and pin them. We are looking at amputation and would need to know if we need to lower the stuff in the cage or not still since it's not her back legs that were hurt. If I can I will take a picture of her cage, it's maybe 3 feet tall with a ramp leading to the middle are and a rank leading to the third shelf. I feel so bad for her as it was her running and jumping around that caused it to happen during play time, I didn't even think the chair would be a problem. I feel like I am partially responsible and my father feels it was his fault since he was playing with her when it happened. She started to let him play with her, she would run over and bounce off him and run off and he would touch her and she would run off and then repeat. She did it once ran behind the chair, ran up the will, and instead of falling on the chair she got caught on a spot I didn't even know was on it. He got up quick and grabbed her since she was dangling and she started to scream, it took a second for us to carefully get her loose but as soon as we got her loose she stopped screaming and just looked around, we let her move a little in his hands and her front left leg was just dangling, attached, but like it didn't hurt anymore or anything.

After a vet looked they found it is broken, both bones in the leg, and they are watching her overnight and giving her pain killers and anti inflammatories. What makes this really bad is we don't have much money to get her fixed and are scrounging to try and find some. I don't want to lose her and just worry alot about her.

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 05:55:58 PM »

Well, the back legs are the ones used for jumping, so you probably don't have to lower the cage ramps.  Just see how she does.  But I am not a professional, this is just my own humble opinion.  I am so sad for you, it must be really hard.  ::cry222::: Did you ask the vet for a possible payment plan so you could get the operation and pay a portion at a time?  I will look around the net for you a little bit more.

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »

My goodness, what a weekend for chinchillas!  I'm sooo sorry to hear about your little girl, and my heart goes out to you both.  Sorry, I can't help more, but I don't have any experience.  

Just remember it's not your fault.  It's an accident, and accidents happen.  There's nothing you could have done.  My cat once was walking on the ledge of an open drawer, and she fell and her leg got caught and she was dangling from her back leg!  That was horrible, luckily she was ok, but I wasn't! I can only imagine what your'e going through now!   :'(

Keep us posted, we're here for you!

Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 06:21:50 PM »

Sorry, girl, can't find anything about broken forepaw's on the net.  Good luck and keep us posted! :(

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 07:51:18 PM »

I know how you feel about feeling responsible. Don't worry, they don't hold grudges. Petie's tip of his tail got degloved (the skin and fur came off of the tip of the tail leaving the bone and muscle) when he tried to run in the kids room as I was closing the door. I about had a heart attack, I cried and felt like the worst chin mom ever. But he had a fairly easy recovery, even though it took a while. Accidents happen. Chins can get into trouble with anything, so don't feel guilty. Only a chin could find a way to get hurt with a simple chair. I would just get the leg amputated and take good care of her. I moved Petie to my bedroom while he recovered, so the noisy kids wouldn't bother him. He stayed back there for a week (I felt so guilty, I put the cage right next to me so he could literally sleep next to me), then I moved him back into his room and he has been fine ever since (and he didn't even learn his lesson). He still figures out ways to get into mischief!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 08:14:35 AM »

As stated earlier chins do well with 3 legs.  In my opinion amputation is more human than attempting to fix a broken leg.  Fixing a broken leg takes a while and many times there are complications.

While your chin is recovering keep her in a cat carrier or similar sized cage with no ledges.  After she has healed she can have ledges.  You might want to add more ledges so she doesn't have to jump as far.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up