Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchilla broke her front paw/leg. Need advise  (Read 30174 times)

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: My chinchilla broke her front paw/leg. Need advise
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »

She goes in tomorrow morning to have it amputated, they said she still has a, and I will put it how she did, STRONG appetite and is being friendly unless you act liek you are going to pick her up. The entire arm has nerve damage as they tested so I was told it is definatly the best decision. We want to get her a cage that she can look out the window or something and one that has no ledges, just something for her to hop around on bedding and maybe have a house to sleep in. Suggestions? I saw a, and yes I know, a rabbit cage that has a non wire bottom that I was thinking but don't know what bedding to get her. I see the carefresh recycled bedding or whatever it is is very bad and want to make sure I get her what she needs. She comes back day after tomorrow and we want to get her ready, we are already planning what to do to cover it as it's looking like it's going to be 1200 to 1500 and with my father jobless we are trying to come up with money. This sucks, I feel so bad and my father hasn't stopped feeling really guilty and apologizing for it happening even though he didn't actually do it and was actually the one who got her loose. Just glad she is doing well at the animal hospital, still feel really bad about letting her out. I had a gut feeling something bad was going to happen after I let her out but didn't think what it would be, now I know.  :(

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 05:22:33 PM »

I really feel for all of you.  Make sure you give your Dad a big hug and tell him it's not his fault, it's not anyone's fault, accidents happen and we can just be glad it's not worse! ::nod::

As for the cage, I think the rabbit one sounds fine but you should wait for others with more experience to give their opinion.  People on this site ususally recommend Aspen or Pine bedding.  Keep your chin up (lol) and things will get better! 

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 06:38:05 PM »

As a small side effect Silver has become alot more loveable then normal. She follows me and my dad around like a lost puppy and actually wants to be picked up, hugged, and carried around.

Beth

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »

Aw, she misses her buddy!  And she probably knows you guys need extra love right now :::grins::

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 07:20:05 PM »

I am a HUGE fan of the Aspen bedding. It doesn't have the aromatic oils in it, but somehow the odor still doesn't get bad. Good luck! I am sure she will feel a lot better after she gets taken care of. I was going to suggest a large rabbit cage. I think the brand I saw was Purdue which was fairly large and elevated on a stand with wheels. It looks NICE. I almost got it for my rabbit, but I needed him to have a way to get out himself. Those would be my suggestions. You should order one from PetSmart.com. I just ordered some stuff from there and if you spend $50, you get free shipping and if you spend $100, you get free shipping and 15% off. I spent a lot less getting it shipped here than if I would have if I would have gone to the store. It also made the bedding cheaper too!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »

Final update as we are bringing her home tomorrow. They did not have to remove the whole arm, they left a little under the elbow on as there was still feeling but about half way down the bone after the elbow through her paw was unrecoverable. They said after she came out of it the first thing she did was hop over and start eating and she ate a good bit before getting ALOT to drink and then, as they put it, put herself in the corner. She normally does that when she is a little scared or nervous.

She is fine and they said everything looks good enough for us to bring her home.

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »

::dancingspot:: ::dancingspot:: Happy to hear she is doing good! Keep us updated.  ::nod::
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:02:46 PM by Summer »

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »

It is a great sign that she is eating and drinking. Congratulations! Good job, too. If you wouldn't have reacted as well as you did, she might of had to lose the whole arm.  ::clapp::
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »

Final final update. They sent her home with an antibiotic and a strong pain killer. She is moving around a bit and they have her in a soft collar which she keeps trying to get out of. In 5 days we take her back to see if the sutures can be removed and we have her in a medium rabbit cage with towels in the bottom so no chance of dust or something getting in the wound. Right now she is glued to the TV as we put her upstairs on the coffee table clamping the cage down so it doesn't fall off. She is just sitting there staring in the direction of the TV, she started when I put on cartoon network. Thank you all for posting helpful suggestions!

ChillinChinchillas

• Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »

Well she and my son have that in common! If I turn on Cartoon Network he gets glued to the tv too! If I could get one of my chins to watch it with him, I would never have to get a babysitter!  rofl :D
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**

nemue

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »

Glad your baby's doing better! 

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 06:34:45 AM »

Hah, that would be great. A little buy and the chin sitting staring at the TV. I turned it on and slowly flipped through the channels this morning to see what was on so I could watch before I went to work and I got to the news and she hopped to the front and sat there watching, they were showing the weather and talking about stories over the night etc. I think she might also like the news O_o, strange chin. Anyway, she is hopping around this morning a little, the soft neck thing is about 3 inch's long around her neck, any suggestions on making it a little smaller? She is having trouble moving around her small cage due to it being long enough that even her back legs sometimes catch on it.

Deeliteful

• # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »

I am so glad your baby is doing better . Oh a side note my little guy LOVES cartoon network . In fact if I change the channel and forget to change it back when I leave the room He Chirps and cries until I come and turn it back for him LOL .

shadowborne

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 09:09:47 PM »

Ok I do not know what is going on now. This morning she ate, let us pick her up and everything, I come home and they said she refuses to eat, she took the medicine but is just laying in the same spot, they say, for the past 4 hours. She looks so pathetic and depressed I don't know what to do. My mom says she got a little bit of food into her but she won't drink from her bottle or eat anything. I don't know what to do and the vet is closed right now. We have tried to mix a little apple juice with the water to see if she would want it and she turned it down. She whimpers and rubs her teeth at us when we try to give her food or anything. I don't know what to do, I don't want her to be in pain, I would take the collar off but I know she would bite at the wound, and I am scared she might die at this rate. Please, any suggestions, I have never had to deal with a chin that lost a limb before. Any suggestions would be great, I will try anything right now.

kneesaa

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »

Find a animal emergency clinic or animal hospital. Some help will better than no help.  Good Luck
Quyana Shannon Seager
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up