Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got my new chin but need help with introducing  (Read 860 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Got my new chin but need help with introducing
« on: February 07, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »

About a couple of hours ago i got my 8 month old chin. Hes very small and supee friendly. Even with the car ride all he wanted was the carrier to be open lol, the guy i got him from worked in schools and would take all 3 siblings with him sometimes so the kids can see so i think thats the reason why hes not scared at all. Well when i got home i wanted to see how he reacted in the new environment and he seemed ok but when he seen my 2 chinchillas he ran to the cage and tried to jump up to see them. And i took both my boys out and the new baby into the restroom and all 3 were investigating each other. There was no fur biting, no fighting but one of my chins kept smelling him and looked like he tried to mount him. I was worried but as i got closer i did reassure that thats what he was doing. So since i have $40 saves up for another cage for the new chinchilla if he isnt accepted with my 2 other boys i had all 4 doors opened from the 2 boys cage and they didnt seemed to mind but kept smelling him. (the cage wasnt cleaned yet or disinfected) but my chin chachi started to chase him and started grunting but like a grunt when he first fought with my other chin chonchi so i separated the 2 levels from the ferret nation and put a tile covering the hole so they dont bounce up or down. So i later when my brother comes im going to have him in the rest room with all 3 boys and while hes doing that im going to disinfect my cage and wash all the fleece i have and im sanding the surfaces of my ledges. I currently dont have bleach but i do have lysol disinfectant spray idk if that works isntead of bleach and were getting alot of rain in my area possibly floods which is odd and a first time thing in my area so. Im hoping lysol works and if not can you guys recommend an alternative

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Got my new chin but need help with introducing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:25:05 PM »

I recommend that you don't use lysol. Bleach is very inexpensive to obtain. Lysol is typically scented and for me personally is very irritating to my eyes and lungs. Do not use lysol around your chinchillas and make sure it is totally settled before you let one in the same room with it. It can be lethal if they get a whiff of it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »

I recommend that you don't use lysol. Bleach is very inexpensive to obtain. Lysol is typically scented and for me personally is very irritating to my eyes and lungs. Do not use lysol around your chinchillas and make sure it is totally settled before you let one in the same room with it. It can be lethal if they get a whiff of it.

I didnt do it my dad said hes going to get bleach BUT! I did wash some fleece and im going to switch that out tomorrow

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 04:26:30 AM »

Update on introducing all 3 chinchillas. Last night i pulled all 3 out into my hall way and set out the dust bath. I didnt see any bad behaviors towards chico that would have alarmed me (the new chins name) but They did some smelling, chasing, and some mounting but there was no fur biting or no fighting. But i do know that this can take sometime and im taking time to introduce all boys to like chico since chico doesnt mind chachi and chonchi (bonded with 3 other chinchillas before they were adopted)  for all 3 boys. I did talk to my dad about getting chico a new cage and he said it will be possible as long as i move my fouton out of my room since its takes up alot of space and get a smaller bed. And when my grandmas services (lost her battle to Cervical Cancer) are over and he has some money so that cage can be a back up if anything and an additional $80 to buy some fleece, ledges and a couple tubes and hammocks since chico likes hammocks. So i think things are going good just trying to wean chico on eating oxbow pellets and in case of smooshy poops im going to give him some burnt toast. But so far so good. The cleaning of the cage chachi and chonchi are in might be done today in the morning or in the middle of the day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up