Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla introduction  (Read 934 times)

Heman90210

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Chinchilla introduction
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:02:13 AM »

So I have 3 Chinchillas now. Two have bonded a year ago. They are called Chinpokomon, the other Pikachu. I am trying to introduce my new Chinchilla, Snowy. I bought a separate cage for snowy. I placed the cage next to the other chinchillas for a week. They will still fight, and lose fur. I tried getting them to use the same dust house, I even let them out together every other day but they will invariably fight. Although, I feel that Pikachu might feel more inclined to bond with Snowy. But Chinpokomon won't have any of it. She will try to fight Snowy every time she sees her.  :(   

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chinchilla introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:48:50 AM »

Have you verified they are all female? Also two weeks of pre-introduction is usually the recommended number. Sometimes it is longer. Sometimes it is never. Female chinchillas are harder to combine than males. I recommend keeping them separate for at least two weeks before letting them play together. This fighting may be prolonging the process. They need to get used to each other and not associate meeting each other with fighting and aggression.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Heman90210

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 02:29:24 PM »

Thx for the reply, They are all definitively female. Is there any other method I can Implore to get them to like each other faster?   

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »

Not recommended to force them together until at least two weeks. There are methods that can be used if that one fails.
Chinchillas are known for fighting and fatally wounding each other. Please be very cautious with attempting to combine chinchillas and do not rush it.
I recommend waiting two weeks from today with them not being in a position where they are fighting or trying to drive each other off. They must be conditioned so they are not associating aggression with each other as they are now conditioned to be.
Then let them play together. If that fails wait an additional week. If that fails you can try to take more assertive action but you must understand the risks and how to minimize them and understand it still may not be successful.
If someone would like to add anything who has experience please do but I know that it's a two week minimum for the start of any method. I've seen the aftermath of fighting and what it can be. It can be very morbid.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:32:37 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Heman90210

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »

Alright then, I won't let them out together for two weeks. I will place there cage next to each other, leaving an inch of space between the two cages. This way, they can smell each other without them biting each other.
Pages: [1]   Go Up