Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning - Chinchilla Electrocution Hazard  (Read 611 times)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Warning - Chinchilla Electrocution Hazard
« on: August 16, 2014, 02:00:03 PM »

This morning I was cleaning my cage and discovered a power cable that had been chewed by Kulu the chinchilla. I thank God nothing bad happened but it could easily have had turned into a living nightmare. The cable was still plugged in and was a severe hazard to the both of us.

In my particular situation I have a wall socket up high by the cage. When I cleaned around the cage (deep cleaning and scrubbing the mat beneath the cage) and moved it back the cable went right up to the bars and I did not realize it. It was like that probably a little over two weeks. The cable is easy enough to replace but this could have caused electrocution and severe burns to anyone who may have touched it, and of course deep fried chinchilla. Notice how even the copper conductor is frayed from being chewed on. This is not something you want going through your pet's intestines. I have run an extension cord to prevent anything like that from happening again.

This is a reminder to all pet owners to check around your pet's cage and play areas for potential dangers. Chinchillas should not be let out to roam freely in any space that has not been chinchilla-proofed!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:37:54 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: Warning - Chinchilla Electrocution Hazard
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 03:33:16 AM »

They especially love chewing the rubber of wires. I had my chins out while doing the daily cleaning of their cage and when finished ibwent to unplug the vacuum and much to my surprise the cord bad been chewed. All in a matter of 10 minutes. I dont let them run free while cleaning their cage anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up