Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin climbs on my arm and nibbles my skin???  (Read 1365 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Chin climbs on my arm and nibbles my skin???
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »

OK, I thought it might be popsicle's attempts to groom me or something, but looked at some videos and it looks different.

Anyhow, under CERTAIN conditions where both he and my arm are covered in shadow by a cave or overhang or whatever just above us, if I put my hand near him with my arm almost horizontal, he will usually climb up my arm with his legs on either side of my hand and arm, nip a piece of my skin in his teeth, and gently tug tug tug at it.

Is this normal?

it is in those VERY specific conditions... he doesn't mind me sticking my arm in his cage, in his house, in his den, picking him up, etc. and he doesn't bite me or bark at me or climb on me often (I wish he would climb on me more, actually!)

What's going on?

... should I post a video or something?

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Re: Chin climbs on my arm and nibbles my skin???
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »

oh yeah, bonding level is he's not very fond of physical affection or cuddling, he's ok with scratching or petting when he's in his cage, but playtime is for playtime not cuddle time. And he trusts me enough that I can take him outside and let him out of his carrier in the condo garden and when he's done I can get him back in the carrier and back home easily enough. (so he's evidently not scared of me or anything)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chin climbs on my arm and nibbles my skin???
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:41:02 PM »

Yeah, mine tries to do things like too sometimes but I don't let him get too far with that. I think what you are describing is chinchilla mounting behavior.

Chinchillas are not typically cuddly animals (not saying that all chinchillas aren't). When they are socialized from a young age they can be easily conditioned to be held and restrained readilly, but even chinchillas that are bonded well will not always like to stay still for you. They are typically energetic creatures but they do have their quiet times.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up