Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New younger Chin.  (Read 623 times)

Danlott1

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
New younger Chin.
« on: February 02, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »

I just picked up a new chinchilla who is 5 months old from a local breeder. I have two other male chins that are just over 1 year old. I'm curious on when might be the best time to try and move the new little guy into the main cage with the two others and when would be a good time to give the new guy chew sticks like the apple sticks and such.
This is the first time having such a young little guy and I want the transition to go smooth and easy as possible.
Thanks

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: New younger Chin.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »

You can give him chew sticks right away. Whatever kind you give him make sure he's not eating large amounts of them and not eating enough of his regular food. If that looks like it's happening give them as an occasional treat. He should have chew blocks and pumice stones available at all times just like an adult. Until he is full grown, which occurs at about a year, just give him half the treats you would give an older chinchilla. You can expect he will grow quickly at this time and nutrition is very important at this stage.
Typically owners who pair chinchillas will put them in a cage next to each other (no closer than 2" together) for two weeks then after two weeks let them play together and see if they are aggressive towards each other. If they become violent (pulling out hair,threatening to bite, etc) then wait another week before trying again. I have no experience with this myself but from what I see on the board it seems to work in most cases. You'll have to be especially careful since the smaller animal may not be able to defend himself as well against the larger adults.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up