Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chin likes to escape. Need help!  (Read 3649 times)

crazyshazz

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
My chin likes to escape. Need help!
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »

so my chin's new trick now a days is escaping from his cage. It is a specifically designed chin cage. I was wondering if i could put little key locks or if someone has experience with that happening before hand. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752703&lmdn=Pet+Type that is a link to the exact cage i bought. Thanks!!! Any help is awesome, he is my first chin and I hate catching him.

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: My chin likes to escape. Need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:53:41 AM »

i can see how he manages it, i guess once he figured out that he needs to pretty much push a little forcefully and the doors open, he does it again and again. you could use lobster clasps to secure the door but make sure they're quite small so if he manages to unhook the door, the gap that opens is only little as he will try to get out and may hurt himself. abseiling clips would work as well but i'm not sure what is the smallest size available. you really want something with quick access as i would imagine it would get annoying to go through a 'process' to open and shut the cage each time. i'll have a think!

one thing i would say is that there is no legislation on labelling pet products as suitable for certain animals. ie, if something says it's suitable for chinchillas, the manufacturer is not obliged to make sure it really is and it very often is not. the cage you linked has several parts that are outright wrong. if you haven't already, take the ladder out - this is dangerous and can result in a broken leg. the shelves are plastic which is not ideal but if yours doesn't chew them, keep an eye on it to make sure he doesn't start - some don't! or you could replace them with wooden ones. also, the door is way too easy to figure out - your original problem!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:45:09 AM »

Yes any kind of hook to secure the door. ::nod::
Debbie.nl.ca

Mel Apple

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:14:50 PM »

I'm taking care of a friend's chinnie who is known to be a bit of an escape artist.  To solve the problem, both doors on his cage have tiny locks on them.  I keep the keys in the locks, so I won't have to dig for them if I have to get into his cage quickly.  As long as he doesn't figure out how to reach out and turn them (I'd be a little afraid if he did figure that out lol), I'm not worried about him sneaking out.  A lot of cages are poorly designed, and chinchillas are very intelligent.

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »

I have that same exact cage. I choose not to use it. I discovered that that door does not stay shut too well.  I would reccommend Martins Cages. I currently use those.  If that is not an option for you, what I would suggest is use the springs that come with water bottles and attached it to the front of the door, holding it shut. I never tried this but thought of it before getting my current cages from Martin's
Chip Raisin Bonnie Clyde

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:00:43 AM »

::silly:: Manufacturers of most things made for animals have a tendency bad habit of making claims they can not backup.  In my personal opinion, this is definitely NOT what I would consider a "chinchilla safe" cage.  Most manufacturers do not do the research needed.  What could I do to make this cage safe? (1) I would have to replace the metal tray with one that is not painted/tented.  (2) I would have to replace the shelves with wood or metal shelves. (3) The ladder would have to be replaced ... it appears to be looking for a chin to injure (their thin legs and feet can fall through and get caught and are often broken.). (4) The feeding dish would need to be replaced with a metal one, in a metal holder.  (5) The plastic bottle would have to be replaced with a glass one (chins are notorious for chewing holes in plastic bottles and leaving puddles of water in the floor ... even when the bottle is hung outside the cage). (6) I'd trash the hay holder ...chinchillas have been known to get their heads stuck in hay holders made like the one in this cage.  (7) I think the natural colors of bedding are much safer than those that are tinted, as it states in the 'extras' that come with this cage. (8 ) The size of the wire is much to large to be safe for a young chin or a kit, it would have to be replaced.  Chinchillas have been known to squeeze through an opening as small as 1" x 1".  {as seen in one of the pictures below ... this 12 week old young chinchilla squeezes through the 1" x 2" wire completely 4 times before I can get a camera shot of him partially out.} I strongly advise cage wire that is no larger than 1/2 inch by 1 inch.  (9)  As for the security of the cage ... it is a "snap together" cage.  If you have ever seen a chinchilla race around the sides of a cage or bound from one side to another, you need to realize that something "in motion" tends to have a much grater force than something sitting in place.  Chinchillas bound from one place to another ... if they happen to bounce into a door without a lock, it is often easy of push open quite by accident.       ::think::  Oops, I think I just got rid of 95% of the old cage and made a new one.  :doh:

Then you have the smart chinchillas who live in cages with a different latches who will grasp the latch with their teeth, pull back and pop the door open.  We have one that would do this when we were looking straight at him.  He would always have that satisfied smirk on his little face as if to say "Ha! Try to keep me in will ya?"  To this we purchased two very small hook-type locks ... it looks like those used to attach a key chin to your belt loop, but much smaller.  We placed two on his cage door ... securing it to the cage wire. He was not happy, but he was safe.   :)   See photo below.  ::silly::  His 'come back' to that ... we think ... was to teach/communicate to other chins how to escape.  We found ourselves having purchase about 30 more little locks to 'double lock' other cages after that.  At that time we had over 200 chinchillas.  

A few years later, we got a Great Dane.  For a while each time we would leave, a chin would escape, our Great Dane, Lady, was sure to notify us and show us exactly where the chin was hiding.  Then, one day, we returned a pair to their cage and they fussed and fussed and kept fussing.  Lady went over to calm them, because she loves all the chins.  They kept fussing ... then ... we saw Lady open the cage for the chins ... some of the now  chinchillas' "great escapes" were due to Lady's solution for being bored while we were gone.  She would open one cage and allow the chin to come out and play with her while we were gone.  Lady never harmed the chins, she loves them and they love her.  She still gets her good night kisses from many each night.   :blush2:

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:32:43 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 12:37:22 PM »

hahaha the great dane story is hilarious! yours must be clever to show you where the chin was hiding! i have a great dane and he's not the brightest bless him. he'd be absolutely petrified of a chinchilla (i have an ex racing greyhound as well and he would kill the chins so the dogs are not allowed anywhere near them) as well!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 05:34:10 PM »

::silly::  You might get a kick out of this ... http://www.luvnchins.com/AChinsPointOfView.html  ... it's 3 pages.   :::grins::

And this little video:  http://www.luvnchins.com/VideoLadyAndKit.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:00:47 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

dianah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »

hahaha that is brilliant!

Squirrel_Butt

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile