Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Schedule  (Read 3008 times)

iwantchinchilla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Schedule
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:18:04 AM »

Hi all,

Just wondering if you could take a look at my Chin-schedule and tell me if it's any good. I'm still looking for a chinchilla, but I'd love to plan ahead. Thanks!

CHINCHILLA TIMETABLE (If I get one)

MONDAY                                                                   

7:30am Feed a tablespoonful of chinchilla feed and timothy hay. Make sure there is fresh water. Talk to him.
8:00pm Give him a tablespoon of feed. Let chinchilla out, play with him. At the end give him a raisin.

TUESDAY

7:30am Feed a tablespoonful of chinchilla feed and timothy hay. Make sure there is fresh water. Talk to him.

8:00pm Give him a tablespooon of feed. Let chinchilla out, play with him. Give him a dustbath.  At the end give him raisin.

WEDNESDAY

7:00am Feed a tablespoonful of chinchilla feed and timothy hay. Make sure there is fresh water. Talk to him. Have him out for a little while.

5:00pm Give him attention while he is in his cage, scratch him. Give him a raisin. Feed him his feed, treat etc.

THURSDAY

8:00pm Give him a tablespooon of feed. Let chinchilla out, play with him. At the end give him raisin.

FRIDAY

7:30am  Feed a tablespoonful of chinchilla feed and timothy hay. Make sure there is fresh water. Talk to him.

8:00pm Give him a tablespooon of feed. Let chinchilla out, play with him. Give him a dustbath.  At the end give him raisin.

SATURDAY

7:30am  Feed a tablespoonful of chinchilla feed and timothy hay. Make sure there is fresh water. Talk to him.

2:00pm Train with him, bond. Give him a treat.

8:00pm Give him a tablespooon of feed. Let chinchilla out, play with him. At the end give him raisin.

SUNDAY

ATTENTION GIVEN TO THE CHINCHILLA THROUGHOUT THE DAY

8:00pm Give him a tablespooon of feed. Let chinchilla out, play with him. At the end give him raisin

Please note that I may change the schedule, like letting him out in the afternoons, etc

THANKS!
A Chinchilla is capable of stealing one's heart.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
Re: Chinchilla Schedule
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:13:08 AM »

i have heard some people say only 2 tablespoons of food a day, but from what i have noticed, chins do not overeat, so i just put some quality pellets in the bowl at night and fresh hay, if they are out in the morning, i refill. always fresh water, i wouldn't treat with a raisin every day, sugar is bad for chins, but some here and there is fine.

for dust baths, its about 2-3 times a week, sometimes more in the summer.  but not every day.  playtime should be everyday if you can, about an hour, in a chin safe area.

as for the time table, personally i don't use one, i just go in on and off all day long and talk or chat with them.. wake them up [lol], pet them... always checking the food bowls and treat dish [i mean the dish i put all their chews in].  but i guess it might be good for playtime and stuff to always do it at the same time, not really sure if it matterrs with chins. sorry can't answer better, but i hope i helped some.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)

AnnieHank

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »

I find they make their own schedule! ;D I would personally love to play with them in the early afternoon but the few times I've tried, one or two of them will hide behind my back or round the side of the bath out of view, sulking for the entire time about being woken. They let me know in no uncertain terms, that they prefer to be let out about 9 or 10pm! Those are just my ones though and I'm sure every chinchilla has their own schedule.

As with feeding, I agree that they don't need that many raisins, too many seems to be bad for them. When I first got my chinchillas, their previous owner had been feeding them crappy pet shop sugary food and as I weaned them off, they seemed to get more energy and I didn't weigh them but they looked like they got a little less fat too. I very rarely give my 4 year old chinchilla a raisin and have never given them to the kits. It's nice to treat them but they don't seem to need it.

I always make sure there is a small excess of pellets, hay and water, it's better than them going hungry and you never know when you're going to get caught in traffic and maybe not get to feed them at the exact time they expect. As long as it's good food (not the pet shop coloured mix stuff!) they only seem to eat as they need it.
As for the dustbath, you'll get to know when they need it if they start to look a little bit shabby or not as fluffy. I guess I'd give mine their bath about 3 times a week or so.
And with playtime, I think someone on here was saying that kits need less playtime than grown up chinchillas. I don't know if that's true or not, but with my two kits, there is no point letting them out for more than 30 minutes because after that, they start sitting around more and more and don't seem interested in running or playing anymore anyway.

Good luck with your new chinchilla. Sounds like he/ she will be very well looked after :)

ABC Chinchillas

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 27
    • View Profile
    • ABC Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:02:38 PM »

You really should free feed your chinchilla, 2 tablespoons is not enough for a grown or growing chinchillas. Chinchillas will not over eat, Plenty of fresh water, plain high quality pellets and Hay.
Elaine McFee and Kristy Morici
starleomach@comcast.net
ABC Chinchillas
abcchinchillas.com

iwantchinchilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »

You really should free feed your chinchilla, 2 tablespoons is not enough for a grown or growing chinchillas. Chinchillas will not over eat, Plenty of fresh water, plain high quality pellets and Hay.

Oh ok so just put in more once I notice their food bowl is empty?

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:22 PM »

i free feed hay and pellets. i fill the bowl, if there's something left two days later, i chuck that and fill it again. i have never had a 'fat' chinchilla. i also notice that sometimes they prefer to eat more pellets and sometimes they prefer to eat more hay.

i agree with everybody else - too many raisins.

iwantchinchilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »

OK, thanks everybody for replying!!

The woman who told me to give the chinchilla one raisin a day was obviously wrong!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »

Yes free feed pellets & hay. Once it reaches adult one raisin a day won't hurt but there are better treats. Cranberries don't seem to have the same effect, so I use both and change it up. Mine get a piece of fruit and cereal everyday.Or a few sunflower seeds and a cereal treat. They love oatmeal, cherrios and spoon size shredded wheat.
Debbie.nl.ca

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 03:18:29 AM »

anything with sugar can cause problems down the road.. yes they love them, but they love other safer treats too.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names

ExoticFamily

• Appreciation points: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »

My Gizmo absolutely LOVES oatmeal!! I also like it, because i can sprinkle a baby bit on every level of his cage so I at least make sure he's jumping on every level! Sometimes i sprinkle a baby bit in a pile of Tim hay, so he kinda "forages" through it for the oatmeal!
Also since he is newer and can sometimes get a lil shy, I make sure to pet him, and rub his chin and tummy while he's eating the oatmeal!! He really loves it when I go from his left side to the right side of his chin!! He squints and tilts his head for me!!  Its absolutely adorable... I mean "savage" (I gotta say it in a manly way since he is a boy!!)    :2funny:    ::nod::
Pages: [1]   Go Up