Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my chinchilla was barking/screaming for nothing?  (Read 18571 times)

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
my chinchilla was barking/screaming for nothing?
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »

so i was sleeping next to bambi's cage, like always, and last night at 3 am, he started to make noise. It was the same noise he made when he was dreaming, but this time its longer and louder. It seems like he was screaming his lungs off, he bark with long breath for like 5-6 times then he stop, took a deep breath and started barking again, and then he would run on the wheel super fast in between the barking. I went online at 3 am to try to find out what's going on, and i think it's what people call "warning call" and chins do that when they're scared, but can't find any reason for Bambi to be scared...it was just a normal night, everything was quiet and everyone was sleeping. I checked his cage and everything was normal...then i pet him for a while and went back to sleep, i think he stopped barking after that.
I just got back home from school and he was sleeping on his side, he woke up and went back to sleep after i gave him some oats, but what worries me is that hes sleeping sideway and he doesnt wake up even when i open the cage door, usually he would wake up and stand up even when i walk very slightly to his cage to take his picture, but now he would just open his eyes and keep on sleeping. He doesn't even open his eyes widely when he's eating. He seems tired and sleeping sideway makes it look like he's dying  ::cry222::: Now i've been leaving the cage door open for about half an hour, and he's not coming out, he just want to sleep.Is it normal for a chinchilla to do that? help please!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:35:00 PM by BambiLove »
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: my chinchilla was barking/screaming for nothing?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »

Sleeping on his side and sleeping soundly (not waking up right away) are both normal during the day.  As long as you can wake him up and he is active in the evenings.  You want to be sure he is eating and drinking and pooping normally.  Sometimes chinchillas will get upset over things we can't hear or smell. 

How is he doing today?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

BambiLove

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Why must chinchillas be so cute?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:19:07 PM »

thanks for your help xD hes fine now but at night he would bark at exactly 3AM again  :(
I wish one day every pet will have a good home and be happy~

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 08:28:20 AM »

Probably peak time for him and your not around to play with.
Debbie.nl.ca

smokie

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 11:49:17 AM »

make sure your room isn't too warm as that can cause them to sleep on their side and pant.  as for the barking, my new one did it when i first got her but has stopped now.  i'm wondering if there's something at night time distressing her, is there any sort of sound that isn't usually in the house, something high frequency like a lamp or rodent repeller or something?  sometimes people have these in their houses to keep mice/rats away.  or a house alarm setting round the window sills in case people try to break in there?  maybe she's just lonely?  you're asleep and she's alone?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »

::silly::  She probably hears something (inside or out) that she would normally not notice because there is more noise during the daytime and it is frightening her ... or something as simple as someone snoring.  Often times a person does not snore until they reach the RIM part of their sleep ... this could be startling her ... or she's awake and wanting to play and there is no one to play with her ... OR  she just needs to reset her alarm clock.    ::)  This is why I usually tell people that their bedroom is not always the best place for a chin ... they are nocturnal.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Blondy40

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »

You have only one Chinchilla? I found that when we brought home our first Chin, Roo..he cried often but as soon as I brought Gizmo home and he had a friend when I wasn't around and working...the crying stopped. Could be your baby just needs a friend of his kind??? I do believe mine are quite happy as they should be as brothers/cagemates. 

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »

::silly::  She probably hears something (inside or out) that she would normally not notice because there is more noise during the daytime and it is frightening her ... or something as simple as someone snoring.  Often times a person does not snore until they reach the RIM part of their sleep ... this could be startling her ... or she's awake and wanting to play and there is no one to play with her ... OR  she just needs to reset her alarm clock.    ::)  This is why I usually tell people that their bedroom is not always the best place for a chin ... they are nocturnal.

::wave::  Jo Ann

the first thing i thought of when i read ..maybe she heard something outside.. was a YOUR GUARD CHINCHILLA... hahaha..

i had a cat once when i was smaller and when someone walked by and she was on the windowsill, she would growl very loud..
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up