Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soon to be new chin owner!  (Read 1388 times)

Thefame

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Soon to be new chin owner!
« on: April 06, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »

Hello!  Im excited to say im going to be the proud owner of a chin. 
Im turning 17 on may 13 so that is going to be my present.  I have done a few months of reseach and know all the preramaters of a chin but still need some help.

Questions!

When looking for a chin i want a baby so I can bond with it.

Q: What age is the lowest possible for me to get one without it needing its mother. 

Q: I can spend up to about 150-200 dollars on a cage and I want a big one for her so what is a good, reliable brand of cages?

Q: What food do you recommend, price isnt really an object, just want the best for her.

Q: Should she be handled alot durning the first few days in the cage?  I have a hamster of 7 months and she couldnt be handle for first week.

Q:  How many toys in the cage is to many?  I love spoiling animals because i want them to have the best life possible.

Q: Im just browsing eBay and came across a "cuddle cup"  Its like a small dog bed.  Does anyone have them and do they work?

Q: What type of chin sand bath do you recommend and how much per bath should i put in the bowl?

Q:  Do they like the hammock things where ferrets sleep? 

Q: Treats that dont upset their digestive system and they like alot?

Q:  I work as customer service at a grocery store where there are truck nights every wed / sat.  This means theres tons of boxes all over.  Are these boxes safe?  Their just regular cardboard boxes usually taped or glued.  Or are there toxins in the cardboard?
Thank you so much cant wait to see your answers and sorry if theirs alot but i just want to make sure im doing everything right!!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Soon to be new chin owner!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:46:24 PM »

Congratulations on getting a chinchilla!! :::grins::

Q: What age is the lowest possible for me to get one without it needing its mother.
7-8 weeks.

Q: What food do you recommend, price isnt really an object, just want the best for her.
I love Tradition feed but you will need to do an interenet seach to find a seller.  If you want pet store food Mazuri would be my suggestion.

Q: Should she be handled alot durning the first few days in the cage?  I have a hamster of 7 months and she couldnt be handle for first week.
Take note from your chinchilla on this one.  Some are very outgoing and come right out the first night, others are slower.  Your breeder can give you more info on what they think best with the chinchilla you pick.

Q:  How many toys in the cage is to many?  I love spoiling animals because i want them to have the best life possible.
I don't think there is such a thing as too many, but chinchillas can get bored with things.  I would recommend maybe two or three toys at a time and rotate new toys every few days.

Q: Im just browsing eBay and came across a "cuddle cup"  Its like a small dog bed.  Does anyone have them and do they work?
Can you give us a link to this item so we can see what you are talking about?

Q: What type of chin sand bath do you recommend and how much per bath should i put in the bowl?
As long as it is dust and unscented anything should be fine.  Kaytee makes a good one.  Stay away from anything called Sand.

Q:  Do they like the hammock things where ferrets sleep?
Some do, some don't....each chinchilla is different.

Q: Treats that dont upset their digestive system and they like a lot?
Raisins, unsweet cheerios, rosehips, dried papaya

Q:  I work as customer service at a grocery store where there are truck nights every wed / sat.  This means theres tons of boxes all over.  Are these boxes safe?  Their just regular cardboard boxes usually taped or glued.  Or are there toxins in the cardboard?
Clean cardboard is fine.  Cut off any parts with glue or tape because your chinchilla will eat it.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 04:47:25 PM »

I'll let other people suggest cages.  Its been awhile since I have purchased pet cages.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:14:13 AM »

::silly::  Martin's Cages are good ... they range from $44 to $225 and are constructed with the proper size wire (1/2" x 1"), so they are "chinchilla safe" cages. 

They offer drop in trays and pull out trays (Personally, I like the pull out trays the best ... easier to clean and safer for your chin).

You can find them at:  http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/chinchilla/

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up