Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions to ask potential adopters.  (Read 1877 times)

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Questions to ask potential adopters.
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:59:26 PM »

I have my male baby to sell plus i have a female that i rescued that i would like to find homes for. what questions are good to ask potential adopters? I need this info quick because I already have several people asking about them both!!!!
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Questions to ask potential adopters.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 10:22:19 AM »

I always find out about any past chinchilla experience and whether they have researched caring for them.  Ask them about the diet they plan to feed and cage location, and cage type.  Ask how long they have been considering getting a chinchilla and what made them decide on a chinchilla as a pet.

You want someone who has put some thought into it and at least tried to learn about them first.  You don't want a person who is buying one on a whim just because they happened to learn you had one for sale and thought it might be neat.  Its also good to put a price on any chinchilla.  You can always make it negotiable once you find the right buyer but advertising $50 for the animal will weed out many buyers who are not really serious about it.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Questions to ask potential adopters.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »

Yes a good chat will give you a feel for them, the wrong really wrong ones only need to open their mouths  ;)
I give them all the info they need.
I have my own sheets on what to feed, where to put the cage, signs of problems etc....
Even print out Jamie's Chincare Booklet and give them that too.
Along with a sheet on teeth, and their pedigrees.
Then I make sure they have my email & phone # and tell them to call or write anytime they have a question or concern.
Most are sold before they are weaned so I get the customer in at least twice before they take them home.
This lets me see how they handle them, and I can give pointers on holding and catching.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up