Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pregnant with multiple kits????  (Read 2274 times)

sabrina

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
pregnant with multiple kits????
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »

I am very worried about my very large pregnant Chin Mia. She is right at 1 year old and this her 1st time being pregnant and she is HUGE!!! She has almost doubled in size. I just got her the 15th of November 2009 and I brought my male Jack with me to make sure they got along and they done great so I brought her home that night. Well here we are 3 1/2 months later and she is about to blow, I can not believe it happened so fast.  I have read that they usually only have 1 kit the 1st time and that 4 in most all cases the max.  I was thinking about going and getting an ultrasound done to make sure there are a safe number of chins in there, I do not want anything to happen to Mia. She is very miserable and has been for the past month. It seems like when they move and/or kick it about kills her, she jumps! All she does is lay on her side until she gets hungry or I give her a treat. She actually bite me for the 1st time a couple of days ago. I can not hold her at all, the last time I did 3 days ago I could feel the babies in there moving and kicking really bad.
Here is my question's....when is it enough? Should I go and have them do a c-section on her (that is a big risk on mama and kits) should I wait it out and let nature take it's course and just make sure I am here for the next month 24-7 (I have no clue when she got pregnant seems to be the 1st night I brought her home) ??????????? I need some advice

LindyLu

• View Profile
Re: pregnant with multiple kits????
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:49:04 PM »

I am not a breeder, but ANY surgery on a chinchilla is a HUGE risk. Let Nature take it's course! You may also NOT want to be picking her up. That could be dangerous to her and the kits. This may have been why she bit you....perhaps she thought you were gonna grab/squeeze her.

The thing about first time mamas only having 1 is a myth. Usually they have as many as "runs in the family". If she is from a larger litter (of 3 or 4) and your male is also from a larger litter....it's very likely she will deliver a large litter.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 01:05:59 PM »

I agree.  Stress from a vet could be very dangerous at this point in the pregnancy.  If she is eating and drinking and pooping fine its best to just be patient.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:14:48 AM »

We all hate the wait, but that's all you can do.
It's her first time, yes she is going to be more cautious, and even moodier, but most of us are on our first.
It's instinct and she'll know just what to do, and if there is a problem she'll let you know.
She could even go over 120 days, so relaxe and enjoy.
Debbie.nl.ca

rainbowrotties

• Jacqie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »

keep everyone posted. let us know how everything goes and how many are born!
2 cats: Honey Cat, Buster
3 dogs: Destiny, Harley, Riley
9 Chins: Mojo, Foxy Cleopatra, Sherman,Ms. Perdy, Tarzan, Jane,AND a 75gallon fish tank with 20+ fishies!!!!

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »

I was pretty amazed when my girl had her first litter.  I was really afraid too because she had gotten such a huge belly.  Well, she had 3 her first time then I understood why she was so big, the kits are really big and I couldn't believe those things came out of her!  She did awesome though and has had 3 litters now with no issues.

Good luck!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!
Pages: [1]   Go Up