Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 3084 times)

Laura

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Hi everyone
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »

Hi all, well my name is Laura and I'm 24, i adore all kinds of animals and couldn't imagine not having any ha, at the moment I have 3 dogs (Rocky, Buffy & Mini) 1 parrot (Cleo) 1 chipmunk (Squeak) and 4 chinchillas (Bandit, Gizmo, Furby & Bailey). I would have had 5 chins only one died about 2 months ago his name was Smokey, Bailey is sick at the moment, he isn't as bad now and is on the road to recovery thank god :) Well i don't really know what else to say at the moment so ill leave it there for now

Laura
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:46:39 PM by Laura »
Laura

Petco Chinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • My Baby, Fluff Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »

I am so sorry!    I really hope your chinchilla is going to be okay!!!   :::(((
God Bless Chinchillas!

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:01:44 PM »

Me too, im so worried about him, he's on antibiotics but now he has stoppes eating and drinking  :'(
Laura

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 03:22:46 AM »

::silly::    Welcome to the Chinchilla Club Forum! 

Do keep in mind we are not vets, only owners and breeders of chinchillas that we dearly love.  What we tell you is what we have done in the past and found to work, the ultimate decision is yours to make. 

If he is not eating or drinking he is probably going into dehydration and/or is impacted ... neither of which is good. 

Impacted is when the digestive tract stops because it has no flora to keep it moving.  His bowls get stopped up ... This makes the chin think it is full,  and not hungry.  The only thing I know of that works, once a chin that is impacted, and there is no guarantee, is to give him an almond or two (This is the only time you will see me suggesting a nut of any kind for a chinchilla.)  This happened to a friend of mine chinchilla and when it finally pooped it was all stuck together making a 3 and 1/2 inch long poop.

Antibiotics kill bacteria ... that is it's job ... BUT ... it kills all bacteria the good and the bad.  The good bacteria is often referred to a flora.  Flora helps to digest the chinchilla's food and keeps the digestive tract moving ... this is a must for all animals, even humans, but especially so for chinchillas.  Once their digestive tract shuts down, they can go down quickly.

Please read: Don't let the Cure Kill Your Chinchilla at  http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/ACureCanKill.html

Yogurt is good, it can be fed from a spoon or an eyedropper.  Yogurt is a milk product and must be given at least 3 hours before or after the dose of antibiotic.   Mine like strawberry and blueberry yogurt best.  I would give him as much as he wants , especially when given to him for this reason.  Healthfood stores carry acidophiles, which can also be used.

How old is your chin? 

Why is it on antibiotics?

What killed the first chinchilla?  Not prying, just trying to help.

Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:30:15 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Laura

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 03:38:42 PM »

He is 6 months old, he is getting better :) He has a check up on Saturday and he has begun eating and drinking again. The one that died had to be put to sleep he had an epileptic seizure, the vet said he was so young and was in a lot of pain and there wasn't really anything they could do for him, that was the worst moment of my life seeing him like that, i felt so guilty at first but now i now i did the right thing at least he isn't suffering anymore. I only had him 3 days but i loved him so much and i miss him terribly :(
Laura

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:25:53 PM »

:hugs: no it's never easy, glad the other is doing better.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up