Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla wheels, balls, saucers, etc.  (Read 1799 times)

Volley

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • ScunCo Media
Chinchilla wheels, balls, saucers, etc.
« on: May 08, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »

I've been looking over at poor haze and well.. he needs to shed some pounds. I used to have a chinchilla ball but it was an 11.5" diameter ball which from what I understand is WAY too small! I gave it to a friend anyway but now the biggest one I can find is 13" diameter.

Is this going to be big enough for him? Is there a website or a store where they sell 14" or bigger diameter chinchilla balls? I've yet to find any but I figured maybe someone on here might know of one.

Also I've heard about these saucer things. But the metal ones are close to 100 bucks american! OUCH! anyone know if there's a more affordable place to shop for these? I don't know if my chin will even figure it out. :S I dont want to shell out 100 bucks and find out that he just doesnt get it.

Also are solid plastic wheels okay if they're big enough? I know wheels that have the metal rungs or any rungs at all really are no good. We don't want their feet to get stuck after all! I've seen these "silent spinners" at the petco down in Pennsylvania. Actually my hamster I have down there enjoys her silent spinner each night. 12" diameter is the biggest they have there though. Again, would this be safe for a chin ? They advertise a chin running on it but it still seems like it could be a little small.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Chinchilla wheels, balls, saucers, etc.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 02:39:06 PM »

::silly::  About 2 to 3 inches to small for a chinchilla.  Chinchillas need a minimum of 15" in diameter.  If you will check with the pet stores ... you might be able to find one that will order a 15"  (Jumbo size roll-a-bout) for you.  If it is any smaller, it will cause trouble with the chin's spine over time.

Also are solid plastic wheels okay if they're big enough?
Plastic is a big "NO-NO" ... chinchillas chew almost anything they can get their little teeth into.  Hard plastic breaks off in sharp pieces ... they eat the pieces and the plastic does not dissolve in the digestive tract ... it leaves scratches and cuts ... this can cause a major infection inside your chinchilla and kill it.

::wave::  Jo Ann

PS  I love your little cat avatar!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:34:34 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Volley

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • ScunCo Media
Re: Chinchilla wheels, balls, saucers, etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »

Thanks Jo Ann! You should write a book. I'd certainly buy it.

Great thing to know about the plastic. A friend of mine was talking about wheels and how 100 bucks is just way too much for a metal saucer for us right now. (we're both "just starting out." so our job situation is on and off all the freakin time lately) But if it's hazardous then maybe we'll just wait until we have a few extra dollars to play with.

I'll have to ask petco if it's possible to order one. I doubt anything in Canada can. I suppose it doesn't hurt anyone to try though. I'd love to have haze able to have free reign over the upstairs. We'll have to get a chinny gate for the stairs. Mom would probably love it if we can get him exercise without him jumping all over her on the couch while she knits hahah.

Heehee I'm glad you like the kitty avatar! I snagged it off random website god knows how long ago. But I'd like to animate my own sometime with perhaps a chinny instead of a kitty. In due time when things slow down.. And I'm sure they will.
Pages: [1]   Go Up