Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd Chinchilla  (Read 3402 times)

Dan

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
2nd Chinchilla
« on: May 06, 2008, 04:16:29 PM »

Hi everyone! First off, want to say I'm new to the forums...I've been reading the chinchilla tips and such, great info!

So, I have a chinchilla who recently turned a year old and I got him last July, (7/7/07!) He's a standard gray male and I love the guy a lot. However, I'm not always home (never during the day) and sometimes I don't have more than 30 minutes to take him out. I was thinking getting a second chinchilla would help keep him company and keep him happy and active. What I want to know is, how will I know that he would pair well with a future male chinchilla? Can it be a younger chinchilla, or near the same age?

Hi again, eagerly waiting for replies!

Dan  :::grins::
Donny Chin!

Dan

• View Profile
Re: 2nd Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »

By the way, his name is Donny! (short for Donatello) Can't believe I forgot that.
Donny Chin!

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 07:07:50 PM »

Hi Dan....Welcome to the Chinchilla Club!   :::grins::

When I introduce chinchillas I place them in a neutral space several times over a period of a week.  Then I swap cages for a couple of days so that they will get each others scents.  I give dust baths together and see how it goes.  I don't really think there are specific rules on getting chinchillas to like each other.  It is just a chance game.

As far as age goes, I have placed younger ones with older and vice versa.  I believe you have to have patience and learn what the characteristics are of the chinchillas, whether they will get along or not.  When inquiring about personalities, the breeder you will be getting a new chinchilla from should be able to help you out.

Hope this helps some...   :::grins::
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 07:36:24 PM »

Thanks a lot, Sweetness! Now, I'll have to check if the breeder I got Donny from has any available chins..and ill have to convince my parents..  :doh:
Donny Chin!

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:09:54 PM »

Hello and welcome!  There is no better place on earth for chinchilla info, so it's good you found us.

I am cautioning you against a second chinchilla, especially if you don't have much time for the first one.  I'll give you two case scenarios:

One:  My friends had a chin for a bit and then got a second.  They don't have much time for them either, and don't let them out for playtime.  :( They thought they would amuse each other.  Well recently, after about a year and a half, the chinchillas have started fighting.  Their original guy is getting pummeled by the newer guy.  He has tattered ears, and has become completely anti-social.  They've had to separate them, and now they have two lonely chins in two cages that get little-to-no attention.  It's very sad.

Two:  I got a second chin after a while and immediately they didn't get along.  My first chin is too territorial, very bitey and very happy to be alone.  They just attack each other when they are allowed out together.  Now I have two cages side by side, and they can only sniff at each other from their cages.  It's twice the work (mine DO get let out almost daily, two times the play time), and cage cleaning is a pain in the butt!

I guess the moral of both these stories is be prepared to have two cages and twice the work, if you get another one and it doesn't work out.

My suggestion, if you are worried about one guy being alone, is get a nice big cage with a flying saucer wheel, and spend some time making some fun play toys for him.  They aren't lonely, they just get bored.  Martin's cages are awesome, and huge.

Martin's Cages

Besides, if you get another chin, they realize you're not a chin (or that they're not a human) and they will not interact with you the same way anymore.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck!

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:15:50 PM »

I've actually been able to take Donny out quite more lately, and his happiness has improved! thank you for the advice though, leslie
Donny Chin!

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »

Having a wheel is definitely important.  Until I got my flying saucer (that they haven't figured out yet) they were even running in the middle of the day.  I had trouble finding one ewhen I first got my girls, and once I got it, Kira's personality changed for the better ( I had problems with her at first). 

Having two chins means they have someone that speaks their language, you will always take second place.  I love seeing my girls cuddle together, but I do know now that by having two, I will never be their bestest friend.  I"m just the one that gives raisins.   :::((( 

Leslie makes good points on getting a second chin.  It's a lot more work.  I'm glad you're making more time for Donny. 

Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:36:50 PM »

I think my chin already sees me as the one who gives him raisins  ::)
Donny Chin!

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 12:25:40 PM »

I got a playmate for Cheech because I didn't like the idea of her being on her own, even if she did have us. But they hated each other. Really hated each other. And for six months I had two cages to clean, two play times... For six months I tried all the ways of introducing them I could and I resigned myself to always having two cages. Then suddenly, one day, I was holding little Chong (the male) in my arms and I took him over to the door of Cheech's cage and she started to groom him. The next week they were in the same cage and have been for three month now.

Two things: Firstly, I know that they could always fight again, so I have a spare cage just in case. And secondly, they don't give us nearly as much attention. I don't prefer it that way, but at the end of the day it's what's best for them and I think having one of their own species to bond with is better. I might get less nibbles but they're always snuggles on a shelf and even though a lot of the time they do their own thing, Chong always gives Cheech a kiss when he goes past her and I'm happy because they're happy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up