Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla's & hair color?  (Read 3337 times)

lesliesuniquecharm

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Unique Charm
Chinchilla's & hair color?
« on: December 28, 2007, 02:49:24 PM »

I wanted to dye my hair tonight, i was wondering if this would hurt Roo? I*ve had a lady tell me the smell killed her 3 chins..is this true? can i do it with the lil man in the room or should i stay in a place where he isnt? Thanks for helping!

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: Chinchilla's & hair color?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 05:26:07 PM »

Don't do it in the room. I know how much hair dye smells and it could really upset him if not hurt him. Keep it well away and probably keep him away from your hair for a few days would be my advice. It's the sulphur in the dye and all the other chemicals that are bad. Once you've washed your hair a couple of times it should be fine, just don't let him nibble your hair. :)

That's my advice anyway.

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:35:26 PM »

I dye my hair (and have been since I was 15 years old)!  I don't dye my hair in the chinchilla room, but that's more about not wanting to get dye all over the place or chinchilla dust all in my dye.  I don't avoid being around them once it's rinsed out, though.  None of my chinchillas have had any ill affects from my hair dying.  :)

Sillychinchilly

• Owned by Pixel
  • Miss Pixel!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 04:48:45 PM »

Ok, here's from the cosmetologist in me, just know I never got the chance to finish beauty school.

There are, in bottled hair colors (like you get from wal-mart) a compound called metallic salts that are harmful to everyone, including animals, not to mention incredibly bad for your hair. If you're using those, I would find a friend's house where you can do it. If you've bought something from say, Sally's where you mix it with a certain amount of peroxide, then it is probably OK to do it in the house, but I wouldn't get TOO near to the chin's room, or stay in there the whole time its on there. Another thing you can do is to put a shower cap over it while its on. It will speed up the coloring process, and put the fumes to a minimum. Just don't take the cap off in the chin's room. O.O
I also would like to warn you, if you're going to hold them in a twenty four hour period after you've done your hair, I would keep it up in a bun while they're out, so they can't chew on it, or get their faces too close to where there may still be color on the scalp.

Good luck!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:50:19 PM by Sillychinchilly »
~*~ Annie ~*~
        ~*~

mprieboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 10:11:52 AM »

So what about oil lanterns or scented candles?  I have some scented oil in my room to keep it smelling woodsy and outdoorsy.  I also burn some scented candles from time to time.  It either or both of those harmful to him? 

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 09:21:18 PM »

Scented oils and candles should not be used around chinchillas.  The aromas can cause severe problems with their respiratory systems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up