Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Falling from ledges while asleep...  (Read 3805 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Falling from ledges while asleep...
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:45:51 PM »

Cheech is a really strange chinchilla. The breeders we got Chong from offered to come round and sex her for us and even they commented how weird she was. She was upside down on top of her box, holding onto the wire on top with her hands and feet fast alseep at the time so I can understabnd why they thought that. Anyway, she has a habit of sleeping on her wooden ledges with her head right over the edge. As she gets into a deeper sleep she begins to fall off, eventually she does. She wakes up, obviously, looks startled for a minute and then goes right back onto the same ledge and goes back to sleep. The cycle continues...

I've had to move her whole cage around so she can't fall too far and hurt herself, but no matter how I put it she finds somewhere to fall off from. She loves her ledges and loves jumping from them so I don't want to get rid of them completely, but number one, is this normal? I'm getting quite worried about her and number two, can I do anything about it? She loves to be up high, the higher she is the happier she is, I keep having to put more ledges in to stop her falling so far but then she finds somewhere else to sleep and consequently fall from. Silly chinnie.  :::(((

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Falling from ledges while asleep...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 03:33:58 PM »

Hi,
My Peaka does that to! Pooka will be asleep in her wheel and I have a ledge next to her wheel, and Peaka will sleep next to Pooka. And some times I will hear Peaka fall off his ledge and hits the bottom of the cage and his goes right back up and goes to sleep next to Pooka or he will go to his sand bath house and sleep. Silly boy ::)
Quyana Shannon Seager

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 06:17:54 PM »

I wouldn't call it normal lol.. I don't know if you really should worry unless she acted like it hurt her. It seems like one of those america's funniest home videos of the sleeping animals falling off the couch or into a fish tank. ;D I think you would really know if it hurt her too.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 06:49:15 PM »

I don't think it hurts her...

I know when she's going to do it because she starts to fall slowly and then just goes. If I see her doing it I wake her up before she can fall, but maybe next time I should make a video, although I'd feel kind of mean doing that but then you can all see. I love my freaky pets. The vet commented on my rabbit, the breeder on Cheech. As far as I know Chong is the only normal one, for now anyway. :)

nemue

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 05:12:12 PM »

Too cute.  I have a cat that does that.  Sometimes he'll roll around on the bed roll right off!   ;D

Chins To Love

• Serenity
    • View Profile
    • Chins To Love
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 05:23:55 PM »

I have never had a chin do that. It's way too cute (since she's not getting hurt). But I would probably be a nervous wreck.
Julianne,  Proud ECBC member

Chins To Love
Fresno, CA
www.chinstolove.com

roadbag

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Fay sleeping in her box
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 12:47:46 AM »

To answer your question, I guess the best way is to remove all the ledges. Falling onto the ground/floor is always bad for all kinds of animals. They can hurt their back or neck or whichever part that hits the floor of the cage. So for the sake of the health of your chins, it's wise to sacrifice some of their fun for safety. That'll be my advice. Good luck on your chins and hope they won't fall again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up