Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions on Building Trust  (Read 2798 times)

Nefarous

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Saris
    • View Profile
Suggestions on Building Trust
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:43:40 AM »

I have had my new 3 mos old chin about 2 weeks now. She is still quite skittish of my bf and I.
Any suggestions on how to built trust fast?
Any good links to sites that disscuss this?

todd0329

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions on Building Trust
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 11:22:08 AM »

Being a relatively new Chin owner myself, I'm probably not the best person to answer your question, but...I can tell you want I've learned thus far...

GO SLOW - no need to rush trust issues.  Chins need a lot of time for adjustment (and you'll learn that each one is completely different as well).  In the beginning, my g/f and I would just slowly put our hand in the cage to let our Chins smell us and 'investigate' us.  Do not try touching your Chin yet.  Let him/her touch you.  Hopefully you know about what to feed and not feed them (ie. pure pellets are desired over the pet store mixed pellets that contain raisins, banana, etc. - For food, Chins just need pellets and hay - everything else is a treat).  Talking about treats...treats are a great way to build trust.  Pick a dedicated time to give a treat (or treats, but not too many).  We give our Chins a treat after playtime.  It's our way of getting them back in the cage (shake the treat bowl and they come a' runnin'!). 
We've had our Chins for over five months now and they still don't completely 'trust' us.  However, we have made great strides.  One of ours always comes to visit us by jumping up on the couch while we're watching TV, or he'll jump up on our lap as we are at the computer.  Our other Chin is more tentative. 
When you give your Chin playtime, just lay on the floor and let him/her 'check' you out.  Don't give in to the temptation of wanting to touch your Chin.  Let him/her control the situation.  Your Chin will eventually come to you and climb all over you.  Just lay still on your back or side (don't move as it will scare him/her).  Eventually your Chin will be comfortable with you touching it - but only on their terms and only when they want you to.  We have learned that our Chins only like to be petted from between their eyes down to their nose.   They let us do it anytime.  I guess it's non-threatening.  We can fully pet them when they are eating or having treats - but that didn't happen in the beginning.  Often, out-of-the-blue, they'll just decide that they don't want to be touched.  Like humans, they have 'their days'. 
I know that other Members will give you more advice.  I hope that this is a small start.  Just be patient.  I know how cute and cuddly they look - we all just want to grab them and hug them.  Go slow and you'll have success.   TODD

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 02:12:07 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself Todd.
You have 10 to 20 years to bond so don't rush it.
Routine is the key. Do the same things the same time every day and your chin will know what to expect.
I have a rescue that took 6 months to come around, but he's mine now. ::kiss99::
I didn't push him at all, just cleaned his cage, fed him and gave him treats and dust baths. So how could he not learn to love me.
Every night I would hold up my hands to let him out, he'd never come. Once a week I took him out for a run, and used the bath to get him back.
Out of the blue he just started coming out to me. He knew the routine and desided he liked it on the floor.
Once bonded you can do pretty much anything with them. ::kiss99::
Debbie.nl.ca

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 07:49:42 PM »

As Todd mentioned, patience is really the key when it comes to chinchillas.  Sitting in front of the cage and sticking your hand or arm inside and letting your chinchilla explore and groom you on his own terms is the best way to start building trust.  After awhile, you might want to put a ramp from the cage door to your lap and let him come out, if he wants to.  Putting a treat in your lap might encourage him even more.

When you have playtime, try carrying your chin to and from the bathroom using the dustbath.  Sit in the bathroom with him and let him use you as a jungle gym.  He'll be bonding with you in no time!   :::grins::

Nefarous

• Saris
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »

Well thanks so much on the suggestions!  Patience is a virtue eh! :)

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:16:52 PM »

If you don't have patience, you shouldn't have chinchillas.   ;D

Nefarous

• Saris
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 09:51:26 PM »

I would agree with that one on any living thing!  :::grins::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 05:02:09 AM »

::silly::  I think chinchillas are pretty good teachers when it comes to patience ... just like babies and children ... God put them here to teach us patience.   ::nod::

Each chinchilla has it's own personality and preferences, but one thing 99% of them have, is the want to please, once they learn they can trust you.  Trust takes time and can be lost in an instance, just be kind, gentle, talk softly and acknowledge it's presence every time you enter or leave the room ... you don't have to stop and talk to them constantly, just call it by name saying "Hi" or "Bye-bye" to acknowledge it is there.  They love attention and appreciate this more than you will know, at first ... you will learn as time goes by.  ;)

Once they learn to trust you, they will run to you if there is a problem ... such as a new person that has come to visit or anytime they are afraid.  They like having someone they know cares about them and will always protect them.

NEVER yell, scream, hit, hit it, chase, grab or handle your chin roughly ... it will only discourage bonding. 

And please, never, ever grab or pick up chin holding it around it's ribcage ... just below the front legs/arms ...  They have floating ribs that are easily broken and can puncture the lungs causing a slow painful death, usually within 24 to 36 hours.

ALWAYS: 
1) Speak softly, as you would to a baby ...
2) Show your chin love and kindness and you will receive the same from it ...
3) Make sure you always support it's hind feet the whole time you hold it, or it will think it is going to fall ...
4) Keep a regular schedule with it ... they love this!
5) Respect it's 'space' as you like others to respect your 'space' ... there's always times you need your space, chins do, too.  Sometimes we just like to be left alone, so do chins.
6)  Remember your chin is in a strange place, with strange, huge, creatures to care for it ... keep this in mind and think how you would feel if the situation were reversed and you were in a strange place with a creature as big as a house caring for you!  Treat it as you would want to be treated.   ::nod::

::wave:: Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:08:57 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up