Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Female chin with "lump"- pregnant  (Read 5216 times)

wonton

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Female chin with "lump"- pregnant
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:37:21 AM »

Ok I have a beige female who is 3 years old. We were almost positive that she was pregnant and due at anytime. When I noticed a small amount of blood in her regular cage, I moved her to a baby cage (I didnt pick her up, I let her walk into the other cage by attaching the doors together) Anyway after a day or 2, No kits but now she has a "lump" in her vagina opening. What is this? Miscarriage?? "she had a small spot of blood with her last birth"

I recently moved to the DFW area so I am unaware of any vets who ACTUALLY know what they are doing with chins.. Can someone recommend a vet to me AND tell me what this actually is?  This is her second litter.. First litter she had 2 live kits and 1 that died within 10 mins of being born.. Could this be a miscarriage of some type?  Is there anything we can do for her before we are able to get her to a vet (Its Sunday)?

Any help would be appreciated..

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Female chin with "lump"- pregnant
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 12:44:06 PM »

It is possible that she has miscarried, but it's virtually impossible to tell with a mere description over the internet.  It is also possible that she went into labor but her body has since stopped contracting and the kit is stuck in the vaginal canal.  If the baby is stuck in the vaginal canal, she needs to be seen immediately.  I would suggest that you start calling emergency facilities in the area, considering it's Sunday and most regular clinics aren't open.

In the future, here is one vet in Dallas who is experienced with chinchillas:
Coit Road Animal Hospital
Dr. Wiggs
12600 Coit Road in Dallas
(972)239-2111

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: Female chin with "lump"- pregnant
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »

Oh my it still amazes me the things that can go wrong.
It could be breached and stuck.
I have never seen a lump like that, they will ussually tear up the kit trying to get it out.
The pelvis could be too small to deliver, could be a tad bigger kits than the last time.
Please let us know what's happening.
Did you find a vet?
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up