Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: what animals get along with chins?  (Read 8179 times)

ChinnyGirl

• cHinNy'S=LoVe!!!!
  • Appreciation points: 0
  • My Cheerio Girl!<3
    • View Profile
what animals get along with chins?
« on: July 02, 2006, 02:08:39 PM »

hi

i have 2 rabbits, 1 fish, and 1 bird.....would Cheerio get along with any of these????? ::shrug::

~steph ::silly::

~~or does it depend on the chin???
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 05:56:13 PM by ChinnyGirl »
^ ^
(o..o)
( .  .)///////

chinchilla!x0x0

null

• Salty Cracker
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Humping the shoe that feeds
    • View Profile
    • Three Rivers Chinchilla
Re: what animals get along with chins?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:02:42 AM »

Well, definitly not the fish. rofl

I wouldn't put any of them together though. The birds claws or bite could easly injure a chins eyes, and the chin could take off a birds foot with one bite.

I have heard of rabbits and chins getting along, but rabbits are bigger and can kick very hard which could cause serious injury. If you've ever seen chins fight, they are very fast and can inflict serious bites in a split second. I just wouldn't risk it.

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 09:18:18 AM »

The best friend for a chinny, is another chinny.  ::silly::
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 01:48:28 PM »

::silly::Hi Chinny Girl,

No animals in particular ... each animal is different ... even each chinchilla.  I think it is a good idea to pair chins together, if they get along.
     I have a Great Dane ... she loves my chins and they love her ::nod::
     I have a Pom ... he ignores them. :-[
     Yet, I refused to let someone adopt a chin from me that had a hunting dog (known to bring dead rabbits and squirrels in the yard daily).
     I had a cat that that loved to watch them, but ran from them.  ::bouncyball::
     I would not trust a ferret (in general), because they are suppose to be natural enemies, or so I have been told ... don't know from first hand experience.
     I have known of some that say their rabbits and chins play together.
     Watching the fish might make for an intresting thing to keep the chins from being bored, but I would be terrified that the chin might jump in and drown.

I agree with ChinchillaGrl
The best friend for a chinny, is another chinny.    ::silly::

::wave::
Jo Ann [/i]
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 04:52:05 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChinnyGirl

• cHinNy'S=LoVe!!!!
  • My Cheerio Girl!<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 02:19:40 PM »

hi

thanks everyone for the tips!! ::nod::

i will keep them in mind! :)

^ ^
(o..o)
( .  .)///////

chinchilla!x0x0

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 08:07:24 PM »

just don't ever put a ferret with a chin ferrets used to be used in the old days before exterminators they were breed to go in the walls of houses and kill/eat any rodent, they wiil also kill birds too my one bird bit my daughters finger when she had just turned 2 and my husband had to smack the cage to get him to let his grip go and he fell out of the cage and we didn't know that the ferret was out and he jumped out from behind the cage and grabbed the bird(Oscar) ( he his a jardin parrot) a very mean bird that now lives with my mom) and if it wan't for the bird being so big and the ferret grabbing him by the neck and trying to pull him behind the cage sideways he wouldn't be with my mom. by the way he is fine and was never hurt cause we got to him right away and him and my mom are mates.  well he thinks that he is her mate he trys to feed her his regurgetated food like they would their true mate and he doesn't bite or try to bite her at all so something great came out of something awful.  I have both cause I was given my first chin and already had the ferret and woulnd't get rid of her for anything she is still small like an adoplesent ferret just a bit bigger than a baby and she is very gentle and doesn't bite and my daughter carries her around like a baby doll
and i never let them out of the cage at the same time and always make sure that one of them is in their cage before i let the other out
cause I knew taht Jo Ann was going to ask that question cause she is always looking out for the welfare of the chin above anything else. thankyou
like the pic of flinstonekids play stuff for his chins she noticed that there were outlet covers on the wall plugs and they were like smaller than a pinky nail in the pic and if it weren't for her saying anything i would have never noticed ;D
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

ChinnyGirl

• cHinNy'S=LoVe!!!!
  • My Cheerio Girl!<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 09:17:57 AM »

heyy

ok.....i don't plan on getting a ferret so even if i do i will keep it seprate form my other pets.

^ ^
(o..o)
( .  .)///////

chinchilla!x0x0

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 11:02:15 AM »

::silly::You hit that one right on the nail, FluffBall.  I would have said something, or ask, or cautioned ... I am 100% for the chinchillas!   rofl ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly:: :D

ferrets used to be used in the old days before exterminators they were breed to go in the walls of houses and kill/eat any rodent
Thanks, FluffBall, I knew they would hunt the rats/mice and kill them outside, but I did not know the part where they were bred for it and that they were put into the walls of a house to do so.  I learn something new every day!!! :D  (I'm 56 and I don't think anyone is to old to learn something new.)

Jo Ann[/i]

My Little Jamie

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 12:18:37 PM »

I read that in my bokk ferrets for dummies when i get a new pet i like to buy the thickest book there is and found that those for dummies books are the best and i found out that there isn't onw for chins which really stincks cause they have more info in them than you would think of asking  but ferrets are really nice critters to have a watch and play with they seem to find the things that you need the most ar want the most and take it and put it in their special hiding place in you house so if you loose something and know where that is that would be the first place to look and you will find everything there
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 09:46:19 PM »

OH I ALSO WANTED TO MENTION THAT WAY BEFORE I MET MY HUBBY HE HAD GOTTEN PETS AND GREW TIRED OF THEM AND GAVE THEM TO HIS SISTER CAUSE SHE LOVES ANIMALS (SHE THINKS THAT SHE WILL BE GETTING MY FERRET BUT SHE IS CRAZY FOR THINKING THAT) ANYWAY
HE HAD A CHIN  ::silly:: YEARS AGO AND HE ENDED UP GIVING IT TO HER AND SHE HAD A BUNNY AND THE CHIN  ::silly:: DIED AND I THINK THE BUNNY DID TOO SHE HAD READ SOMEWERE THAT CHINS  ::silly:: AND BUNNIES SHOULDN'T BE TOGETHER WETHER THAT IS TRUE R NOT I AM NOT SURE YOU MIGHT WANT TO DO SOME MORE RESEARCH INTO THAT

AS FOR FISH THEY GET ALONG GREAT TOGETHER AS LONG YOU DON'T TAKE THE FISH OUT OF ITS WATER OR LET THE CHIN  ::silly:: GO SWIMMING    rofl

HIS SISTER AND I ARE NOT TALKING SO I AM UNABLE TO ASK HER  WELL I AM NOT TALKING TO THE ENTIRE FAMILY OF HIS JUST HIS DAD AND STEP MOM VERY LONG STORY

JO ANN YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT? ::shrug::
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 08:03:24 AM »

::silly:: I do know of a chinchilla owner that lets their chin play with their bunny, but, personally, I would not want to take the chance.   

A bunny is much larger than a chin (except for the mini bunnies), it's jaws and teeth are stronger and larger, it's hind feet are very strong when it kicks.  I had a bunny kick me in the ribs once, if they had been the ribs of a chinchilla, the chin would have died instantly or had a very slow painful death.  Even if they get along, the bunny could accidentally hurt the chin and kill it.

Once a chin is hurt, if it still can, it will fight back ... a chin's teeth can take out the eyes of a bunny (sorry about being graphic ... but you asked).  There is no way I could even think about putting them together, but there are others willing to try.

You have to make that decision on you own, because, if one or both are hurt or killed, you have to bear the guilt.  Would you want to have to do that?

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 10:24:46 PM »

I don't have a bunny and nor do I want one Sean would kill me  :::grins::
it is bad enough that I have the animals I have but since the chins are in one cage it is ok cause adding another chin doesn't really take up space
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

Lauren_201

• Jinx
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 09:41:20 PM »

I wouldn't even let a "dwarf" bunny play with my chins. The dwarfs can have very nasty personalities. (Moreso than the mellow large bunnies) I used to raise rabbits for 4-h, we had around 5 netherland dwarfs, and all but 1 was mean, and my neighbor had a dwarf that would attack you if you got anywhere near her cage.
There is no one "true" way
~ Chinmom to Chloe, Berry, and Jinx. ~

FluffBall

• Mellissia
  • Buddy L & Snowball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 06:30:02 PM »

never knew that dwarfs were mean all the ones I've played with were nice and loved to lick the salt off my skin
2 Kitties
2 chinnies
2 fish tanks
1 ferret
5 kids (includes hubby)

*Karen*

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 03:01:01 AM »

Rabbits can carry Pasteurella (it naturally resides in cat saliva) and is transmissable when come in contact with chins and guinea pigs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up