Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rescue Chinchilla?  (Read 3286 times)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Rescue Chinchilla?
« on: August 08, 2007, 07:42:44 PM »

As if I need another chinchilla right now while I am trying to sell my herd but a lady contacted me and said if I didn't take it she would be forced to turn it loose outside or have it put to sleep!  :flames:  So now I have a new chinchilla in my living room.  At least I think it is a chinchilla.  :2funny:  If you were to breed a chinchilla to a hare (one of those long bodied big eared rabbits) this is what you would get!! Look at this pitiful animal.  This picture actually makes it look good!! This poor thing can't have had a dust bath this year and its fur is so slick against its body I can't even tell if it has it all or not.  Needless to say, this poor animal is staying far, far, far away from my herd. 

Anyway I just had to vent!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

mikasauntie

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue Chinchilla?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:13:22 PM »

Turn it loose outside?!  Its amazing what thoughtless things people will do!  That poor thing!
KB

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:48:51 PM »

Jamie, you are too funny!   rofl You have me cracking up here.  Of course it's a chinchilla silly, just look at that sweet little face.  If I didn't live 6-7 hours from you I'd be happy to take him off your hands. 
 ::kiss99:: I just LOVE those big eared guys!!!  He looks like our Oki, remember him? 
This brings back memories of Joe Camel Chinchilla!  Remember him?  I know Jamie & Debbie will.  It was a good while ago.   
:2funny: Who knows, Mr. Mousemix may turn out to be a real handsome fellow like Joe did.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 08:00:33 AM »

I just can't get over this poor animal.  I was hoping it was just the oily fur so I left an overflowing container of dust in the cage all night.  This morning the fur is fluffier but it did nothing for this ugly animal.   Its eyes are bulging out of its head -  its neck is so long and saying it dips in is an understatement. I have seen my share of extremely poor quality chinchillas but this one is the worst ever.  A massive case of inbreeding comes to mind....

But the good news is there is a family nearby that wants it so it will have a loving forever home. 

I just love happy endings.   :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

mikasauntie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 11:09:12 AM »

That little guy must have thought he'd gone to heaven to have a dustbath to himself all night long!  So glad there's a happy ending.
KB

Lori Ramsey Earle

• Appreciation points: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »

It may really help this chin if you give him a "human" bath, using diluted baby shampoo. Work quick, rinse quick and be careful not to get any water in eyes, ear, and mouth. Pat dry with a towel and then blow dry on a low setting. Comb out when dry and then have him do some nice big dust baths over the next week or so. You should see some improvement after a couple of dust baths, and I'd  bet he'd feel a ton better(at least when he forgets about being shampooed). When he puts on some weight, his proportions should improve.
I have one chin, with continuing dental probs, that drools on his cagemate's back(Cliff calls it Droolback Mountain)pretty bad, so I have to occasionally give his back a wash. It's not a big deal. There are times when chin dust just can't do the whole trick - doesn't happen too often, thankfully.
Hope this guy's happy with his new family. Can you send some type of supplement with him when he goes? He could use a boost.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 05:44:09 PM »

Poor thing looks malnourished to me.
Vent, I'd vent, a cast iron skillet to the side of the head.
Ya let it go out side :doh: yes girl give it a run in the back yard, no wait let it out in the street.
I wonder if she lost interest because it wasn't a cute looking chinchilla or did she add to it's appearance.
Geez some people   ::pull hair:: ::uvula::
Debbie.nl.ca

ebengston

• Have You Hugged Your Critters Today?
    • View Profile
    • Seeds of Hope Pet Rescue
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 10:21:56 PM »

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I had to reply. Do you know how often people let chins go when they decide they no longer want them? Believe me, it happens more frequently than a person would expect. One of my girls, Essie, was found running around downtown. In the same week, there was an ad on Portland Craigslist asking the owner of a "found chinchilla" to contact the person who found a chin running around their neighborhood. I was just reading on another forum about a chin that was found wandering around outside. Thank you for rescuing the poor guy! How does he look now? Essie is still a petite little girl. I don't know what on earth would possess someone to just let any pet go out on its own.
Elizabeth & My Critters

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 08:45:45 AM »

She is doing good. She went to her forever home yesterday.  I think if I hadn't taken her she would have been released into the wild.  Of course with out heat she would have been within minutes.  :(

Lowcountry Chinchillas

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 04:53:44 PM »

WOW- I hadn't seen this post before and that poor thing. That doesn't look like any chinchilla I have seen. It makes you really wonder.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up