Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GETTING a new chinchilla for a older chinchilla  (Read 3032 times)

rocky3412

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
GETTING a new chinchilla for a older chinchilla
« on: August 07, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »

Ok i have my older chinchilla Rocky who is a male and is 2 years old.I recently got a new on who is 10 weeks old and is a black velvet The pet store told us he was a male but they really werent sure.I keep there cages next to each other so they can met.I take them out to gether but the get mad at each oher and chase one enother.Is there a trick to making become freinds faster.Thank you please help me.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: GETTING a new chinchilla for a older chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 12:48:25 PM »

You may find introducing these two to be a little difficult because of the age difference.  I would try the following things:

Allow them to play for brief periods of time (5-10 min max) in a neutral play area; DO NOT put a dust bath or any other object for hiding in there, or they will likely fight over it.  Also, remember a little flying fur is normal and natural, as the animals will fight a little to figure out who is dominant (who is going to be in charge).  If it looks like they might be more than just sparring (i.e. if you hear cries of pain or see even the tiniest bite mark or blood) then separate them immediately, and try again in a few days.

Let one bathe and then let the other bathe in the same dust the first one used, so they can begin to smell alike.

Switch each one to live in the other one's cage every few days, so they can begin to see each cage as joint living space. 

I have all of these things used together can usually get them to accept each other.  HOWEVER, there is no guarantee that they will ever like each other, or get along well enough to live in the same cage.   You must be prepared for the possibility that you will have to keep them separate for their whole lives.

I hope this helps.  Good luck and keep us posted!

rocky3412

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 09:42:55 PM »

OK I'm a little happy they are starting to accept each other.When they used to meet face to face they would now they sniff each other.Which I'm hoping is a good sign.But the little one get startled when the bigger one jumps.But I'm hoping they will become Friends.I ll keep you posted.Thanks for the help.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 05:59:52 AM »

That's funny because I find adding a kit to any aged any sex the easiest.
Most older chins I've introduced to a kit will react like a mother hen.
I find introducing adults together the hardest, and I have no luck what so ever with adult males.
Though I gave a rescue to a lady with 5 already and he has found a buddy. Then she has all males, so I'm guessing the females are interfering with my pairing of adult males.
Debbie.nl.ca

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 06:52:35 AM »

Really?  I would say the most difficult pairing I have made was a proven female to a new proven male after her mate had died.  But I also have trouble trying to pair animals with a large age difference.  I agree that kits are the easiest to pair, but in my experience that is mostly when both animals are young, not with one adult and one kit.  How do you go about introducing animals to each other, Debbie?  Maybe I can try something different.

rocky3412

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 06:11:51 AM »

Im happy to tell you they are now good freinds.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 05:38:22 PM »

Awww that's great Rocky.

No secrets here Abby, I try it all, something will work in time. I like to isolate the newbies for a spell if it's a difficult pairing, and I never give up.
Patients I have loads of.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up