Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EMERGENCY!!!  (Read 7071 times)

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
EMERGENCY!!!
« on: July 18, 2007, 02:28:02 AM »

One of my standard females got into a fight with her mate tonight, I think she might be in heat....Now she is not using her front left foot...I think it might be broken...I am taking her to the vet as soon as they open but I cant get in to my normal vet....I am hoping this vet will have some idea on what to do!!!...Any suggestions about how to help the vet diagnose properly??? or even treat properly.....

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: EMERGENCY!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:19:57 AM »

I am so sorry to hear your girl is hurt. By the time I am writing this you are probably on your way to the vet.  Hopefully he will be able to tell by feeling, but he may need to do an x-ray.    Hopefully it will just be a sprain or a bruise.  Let us know what you find out.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »

Well I just go back from the vet, me and Bell were there for several hours.  She broke from the elbow down on her front left leg.  The vet turned out to be great tho!...The vet pieced together a splint and wrapped her all up...she has one of those little lamp shades on her head which she is not happy about at all!!....I was wondering, the vet prescribed me a small dose of ammoxicillian to prevent any infection.  I think I remember reading about how those kinds of meds can actually be harmful to chins because of the good bacteria they have in them...Do you know anything about that?, should I give it to her?...also how should I try to make her more comfortable with the lamp shade on her head???...I didnt want to have to have that even on her but as soon as the vet wrapped her leg she started chewing it, so it has to stay on..I know I have to feed her because she cant really eat with it on, and I am going to offer her water every couple hours...but she is upset because she cant fit in her hut that she sleeps in because it is on her head, so to prevent her from trying to get into it I just took it out...I thought about just putting like a cardboard box in there and cutting a hole in it big enough so she can not feel so stressed...anybody got any suggestions??? :-[ 

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 09:27:49 AM »

You are right about the antibiotics.  Go to the store and get from yogurt and offer it to her between doses.  (So if you give meds every 4 hours give the yogurt 2 hours after the meds.)

The cardboard box is a great idea.  She will get used to the collar eventually.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:40:21 AM »

Good luck, I wish you all the best!
I'm sure she'll love the cardboard box, mine love boxes more than their own houses (but they can't have them any more because they eat the cardboard, but that shouldn't be a problem for her).

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 09:23:56 PM »

It is my understanding that you DO NOT give chins Amoxycillin.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Donna

• Appreciation points: 2
  • donnaburk@att.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »

It is my understanding that chins should not have any of the penicillians which Amoxicillian is a derivative of. unless it is a real emergency. My vet only gave one of my chins a shot of penicillian once because he had a very serious infection that did not respond to other antiboitics. He did not have a reaction to it lucky for me. Check with the vet school in Urban, Illinois. I got a list once of the drugs that chins could take and not take, but I don't have it any more. The skin is the first line of defence against infection. So if the skin is not broken, her chances of not getting an infection are better. Hope that she is doing well.

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 09:15:39 PM »

She had called some where and checked some book she had on weither it was ok to give it to her, and it was for emergencies only...I did not end up giving her any because i didnt feel that she needed it....the skin wasnt broken....if it was then I would have given it to her but like jamie said given lots of yogurt in between....she is doing great and she actually doesnt need her head collar anymore...I think she realized that if she chewed at it the collar stayed on and when she didnt chew at it it came off...she hasnt touched it one time since...I even put a little bit of ace bandage around it in case she did decide to start chewing at her splint she would have to get through that first but like I said she is doing just fine now...she has learned to work around it now is just the waiting part...she has to have it on for 4 weeks and then she will be all better...I really like the new vet i went to and she is a heck of a lot closer...only like a mile down the street...so i am just glad that there were no amputations or anything and she was really stressed the first day but is back to her spunky little self now! :::grins::

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 07:07:31 AM »

That is so great!  I'll bet you are both so thrilled and relieved!  :::grins::
Pages: [1]   Go Up