Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pictures of your chinchilla rooms  (Read 41562 times)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Pictures of your chinchilla rooms
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2006, 11:04:34 AM »

Thanks for sharing your pictures.  Those are nice cages did you make them?

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2006, 11:50:05 AM »

Yes Hope,
What a nice set up.
How do you find the lower cages?
I have two low ones and they are such a torment.
Jamie you put a lower level in your new chin building didn't you? How's that working?
I have serious back problems and am using a stool to sit on but trying to reach the back is killing me.
I've put my two cleanest gals down there now. rofl
It's awesome hope, just like to give folks things to think about when they are starting to set up. ::thumbsup::
I do love my cages at waist level, but we do run out of space when we have to have more. ::silly::
Debbie.nl.ca

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2006, 05:05:36 PM »

Hi Tinabeana,

I know how you feel trust me!  Several of my "rescue" chinchillas come from pet stores.
  :::((( Unfortunately they were also kept in poor conditions and not cared for properly. Usually we come home and I cannot stand it so we go back to get them.
I buy them and take them home with me to live a very nice life, like they deserve!  I don't breed so no worry there.
These guys have turned out to be wonderful chins and very happy & appreciative ones!  One is blind, and 2 have seizure disorders.  Both of these medical problems have not been expensive or huge issues for us.  If I could turn time back I'd do it all over again and adopt them again!

The pet stores all have gotten ear beatings from me on proper chinchilla care.   ::nono:: I have talked to them, taken in care sheets for them as well as their customers and introduced them to the chinchilla club site and others.  I do have to say that many have improved the care since.  So, it was all worth it.  ::thumbsup:: 
 ::scaredspeachless:: I think they all run when they see me coming now!
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

hope

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2006, 02:04:10 PM »

I am UK based & they were made by a lovely man who is well known over here called 'John Hopewell' who made the cages for the squirrels in the Harry Potter film. :)
The stands are on castors & are easy to wheel about by yourself which makes cleaning time so much easier & I can get to everything.
Debbie I know what you mean about the bottom one's as I have to kneel down so I tend to keep those empty when I can & in a ideal world I would have a enormous set up like yours Chinclub & use the middle 2 cages only :::grins::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2006, 07:29:52 AM »

I have 2 cinder blocks under my cages to lift them up some.  They are all above knee level.  I can just bend down to reach the pans on cleaning day, but I have to kneel all the way down to get the chinchillas out of the cage.  I have tried having cages all the way to the floor and other cages high enough that I need a stool but in both cases I find that the chinchillas get wilder.  I guess they don't see or interact with me enough when they are too high or too low.  Now I keep them all at a comfortable level for me and the chinchillas.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2006, 08:17:32 PM »

Yes, I have found the same.  I have mine in melamine cages, in units of two stacked vertically.   I have to keep rotating the chins from top to bottom and vice versa because I have found the chins in the bottom levels, no matter who I put down there, get very shy and standoffish after a few weeks.  I guess they get tired of seeing my knees  ::shrug::
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up