Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of Breeding.  (Read 3276 times)

chewy

• Chewy
  • Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Thinking of Breeding.
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:58:01 PM »

So I am thinking of Breeding my male Chin. MY boyfriend has a female chin, not quite old enough to breed yet, but we are waiting til she is. We are just wanting  more information about kit care, mom care, etc... Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks !!! :::grins:: ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly:: ::silly::
"...When she gets there she knows if the stores are all closed with a word she can get what she came for, and shes buying a stairway to heaven.."

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Thinking of Breeding.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 07:29:05 PM »

Its great that you are looking into it before you do it.  The most important thing to is to be sure you have two breeding quality chinchillas from a breeder.  If either chinchilla came from a pet store I would strongly advise against it.  Do you know the background on both?  What color are they?

Also, make sure you and your boyfriend will be together for a long time because it can take a year or more for a pair of chinchillas to bond and breed and then you might not be able to separate them. Once a pair are bonded they can go into depression if taken away from each other. Sometimes it is so sever that it will stop eating and die.  I had that happen to one of my males after his cage mate died due to birth complications.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

QTPie61282

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
Re: Thinking of Breeding.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 09:13:46 PM »

I agree, they should definitely be from a breeder!  Pet store chins are usually chins that the breeders have considered as non breeding stock, which is why they are sold cheap to the pet stores, and the pet stores just jack up the prices and make them look like real great chins, or something they have that is "rare". when in reality, those chins could be prone to mals or heart murmurs or anything health related.

But at least you are looking into the pros and cons before doing it, and at least waiting til she is of age.
Do you have pics?? we always love pics!!
~Jen~
Pages: [1]   Go Up