Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newby just lost my best friend  (Read 7026 times)

tenniskris

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Newby just lost my best friend
« on: June 02, 2007, 03:10:48 PM »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here but decided to finally join yesterday because of my terrible loss.  Furby was the most incredible chin I have ever met.  He joined our family about a year and a half ago and my life has been changed ever since.  The night before last, I was in bed with my hubby when we heard a noise, nothing scary, just a weird noise.  I got out of bed to check it out and saw my son's cat with what I thought was one of my daughter's beanie babies.  I went closer and saw that it was my beloved Furby.  I have no idea how the cat got into his cage but he did.  Furby was still hanging on so my husband and I rushed him to the 24 hour vet hospital.  He was put on oxygen and was given IV fluids to try to help with his shock.  I spent all night in the hospital waiting and praying.  The next morning I transported him to a vet that specializes in chinchillas and small rodents.  His condition was very grave and I went home to tell my daughter (we bought Furby for her originally).  Alex, my daughter, wanted to go to the hospital to see and pray for Furby so I took her.  When we got there, the vet told us that Furby was looking a little better and was now holding his head up by himself.  The vet had given him pain medications and tube fed him so his gut would not stop working.  Alex and I spent some time stroking him and talking softly to him.  We went home optimistic.  The vet called us at home 2 hours later to tell us that Furby had passed away while getting his afternoon meds.  I know that most people here have probably had a loved chin die.  I can't seem to stop crying for him.  I just hope that his last thoughts weren't of the terror and pain but of my daughter and I loving him and talking softly to him. 
Thanks for listening to me.  I don't want to burden my already grieving daughter and my dear hubby doesn't understand the bond I had with the furry little man.
I'll post some pics tomorrow so you can all see how special he was.
 ::cry222:::
Newbie Kristine

neeley

• View Profile
Re: Newby just lost my best friend
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 07:58:56 PM »

I am so sorry about your loss.  I understand how you are currently feeling because we lost our Chewy earlier this week and my daughter and I still are crying everytime we mention him, but we just can't stop talking about how special he was.  Each day when I come home from work, I greet my dogs, then open my daughter's bedroom door and say Hi to Chewy.  I still want to open that door everyday, but realize things are different now.  Time will heal our pain and we will definately get another chin some day. I can't imagine being without one for too long.

Sweetnessheart

• Appreciation points: 7
    • View Profile
    • 4 J's Plantation
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 08:16:40 PM »

:'(  I am so sorry for your loss!   :'(

I am sure your Furby knew that you loved him very much.  He is free from pain and playing with all of the other chins gone before. ::angel2::
Janice and Jim
http://www.4jsplantation.com

ECBC V-Pres. - Southeast Unit of Ohio Branch

QTPie61282

• View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 09:10:49 PM »

I am really sorry.  It is the worst thing to have to go through.  But you will get through it.  It will be a year this month that I lost my bestest chin in the world and Im still recovering from it.
In fact, I have been thinking about getting his face as a tattoo Im so distraut about his death.
So its tough, but youll pull through.  We are here for ya!! :( :(
~Jen~

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 11:09:19 PM »

I am so sorry for your loss.  :'(  I too lost one of my boys yesterday.

tenniskris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »

Hi again,
Just a little update on our loss.  My daughter came to me in tears last night.  It seems that she has been eaten up with guilt.  She told me that she had taken Furby out for playtime and when she couldn't catch him under her bed, she just closed her door and went to bed.  When I went up to say goodnight to her, I didn't know that he was still out and I left the door open.  That's how the cat got to him.  She feels just horrible and I am trying to calm her down.  I just keep telling her that she can't blame herself, it was just an accident. 
We get Furby's ashes back from the vet on Tuesday and we're going to have a lovely memorial.
Thanks everyone for your kind posts.  It really helps.

QTPie61282

• View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 10:11:10 AM »

Accidents happen.  I thought my cats had got to Chilly when he died last summer  but it wasnt them, they werent even downstairs at the time.
All I remember is my brother calling my fiance (we were sleeping at his apartment) and I woke up with Don telling me something was wrong with Chilly.  And I immediately started crying because I had a really bad feeling about it.
We drove to my parents house (right down the street) and when I walked in the door I saw him laying on his side in the kitchen.  My parents and my brother were standing around him.  I istantly fell to the floor in agony and disbelief.
I have never cried so hard in my life.  There was blood on my brothers pants and shirt from carrying him up from the basement.
I had them in the basement because it was so hot out that week.  Chilly must have creeped out after I had cleaned and fed them and was roaming the basement.
My brother says he was going downstairs (thats where he sleeps) and saw Chilly laying at the bottom of the stairs twitching, blood coming from his ears and nose.

I was in such a state of shock that I was in bed all weekend.  It happened on a Thursday night, I was supposed to drive to my friends in NYC that friday and spend the weekend there.  But I just couldnt get the strength to move.  I was literally in bed all weekend.  Ive never cried so much in my lifetime.  He was my very first chinchilla, 9 years old he was and he was the absolute best.  He was the tamest chin Ive ever met, sat on my shouldar while I drove places, and just loved it up there.

His picture is my icon actually. And that is the picture that I want as a tattoo somewhere on my body. I cant think of the right place though.  I was always thinking of on the back of my shouldar bc he loved to sit on my shouldar but I want to be able to see him.

Im sorry Im rambling like this.   Your story just reminded me of that day and I wanted to share it with all of you too.
It helps to get it out and share stories like this.

Let me know if you need anything, we are all here to help! Again, I am so sorry for your loss. :'(
~Jen~

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »

::cry222:::
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 06:29:49 AM »

:)  Hi Kristine,

I am so sorry for you, your daughter and son that little Furby passed, and for the way it happend.  Please reassure your daughter that she closed the door, just like she should have, to keep him safe before she fell asleep.  And, you, did not know he was loose.  No one is to blame and no one can be faulted, not even the cat,  the cat was just doing what comes naturally to cats.

There's another little chinnie out there that needs a home.  Due to what happened, and how it has affected each of you, I doubt that the same mistakes will ever be made again.

I would tell your daughter that Furby's in chinnie heaven, where even the cats and chins play together, but never fight or hurt each other ... that her little one is no longer confined to a cage and can play safely anywhere he likes to play.

Give and get a big hug from each other ... remember and talk, about all the fun things, with and about little Furby.  He will always stay a part of your hearts ... nothing can remove or replace Furby.  As long as you keep him alive in your memories, he is never really completely gone.

My Mocha passed away over 4 years ago, but she stays fresh in my memory and in my heart.  Every time I look at one of her boys, one of her grand-kits, and/or especially a brown velvet ... I see a little of her in each of them, and smile from the inside out.

Keep him in your heart, and find a little buddy to share your heart with him.   :)

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up