Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Neck/Pet Quality  (Read 3071 times)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
No Neck/Pet Quality
« on: June 26, 2006, 07:43:47 AM »

::silly:: Hi All,

This is part of a post started by ChinsGrandma that fits better in Breeding 101 ... This part is being moved with her permission:

chinsgrandma

Re: New chin owner
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 05:36:02 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I have a question!!

I went reading some of the other subjects and saw a few comments about a "nice neck".  In my unprofessional opinion, Cheerio does not HAVE a neck.  Do other chinchillas have a "defined" neck?  She is one big fuzzball aside from her tail!  See here?  NO NECK! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

100_3671.jpg (7.2 KB, 160x120 - viewed 10 times.)

Jo Ann
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 06:02:15 PM »     

Hi Chin's Grandma,

When you look at a side and top view of a chinchilla when he/she is on all fours and close to the ground, the "nice neck", is no neck.  There will not be a narrowing of the neck from any view of the chin.

They also need to look like a "brick" from the sides and the top, rather than a triangle. The front shoulders and back hips should be equal in size.

From the picture above, I see no neck on Cheerio. 

Jo Ann

PS This is getting more into the breeding aspects of a chin.  I'm going to start a question on that section of the forum with your question, if that is OK with you.    Is that agreeable, Chin's Grandma? 

by Jo Ann » 

chinsgrandma

« Reply #25 on: Today at 06:25:31 AM »     

Yes!  That is fine by me!  We are not going to be breeding at any point but I find it all interesting to read.

When I got her from the breeder, she said that Cheerio was a "pet quality" chinchilla.  Does this mean that she is "unable" to breed?  I know it drastically lowered her price, which was great because we really loved her and would bring her home regardless of price, but I didn't know they were classified in different categories like that by breeders? 

Report to moderator    205.188.117.72 (?) 

chinclub
Admin
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: Today at 07:58:05 AM »     

It means that she had some undesirable trait that the breeder didn't want to breed for.  In our herd we call a chinchilla "pet-quality" if it is off color, has poor fur quality, or doesn't have the right size and shape.  These things are determined by show quality.  It doesn't make the chinchilla any less healthy or wonderful as a pet, it just means it probably wouldn't be rated very high at a chinchilla show.  We will also call a chinchilla "pet quality" if we do not know the history of a chinchilla. 

Report to moderator    207.144.144.50 (?) 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:54:59 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: No Neck/Pet Quality
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 08:31:05 AM »

::silly:: Always ask "Why do you consider it a pet quality and not a show quality?" You might be surprised at the answer.  Depending on the answer, you may or may not decide to get the chin. :-\
    If a chin is or may be carrying a life-threatening inherited trait such as a bad heart, seizures, malocclusion, etc ... you do not want to get it without realizing the vet cost may soar and you could easily become very attached, then loose it.  Here you are leaving yourself open for a broken heart.   :'(  This chin could never be put into breeding  ::nono:: ... it would pass these traits on to it's kits.
    If it is a healthy chin and does not carry any bad inherited traits, but, has fur that is not real thick and plush,  or with lines in it, or has a narrow neck, or chews it's fur, or is/will most likely be  under 500 grams as an adult, or has hips that are much wider than the shoulders, vieling is not acceptable, or any other trait that would keep it from becoming a winner at a chinchilla show.
    Pet quality does not always mean it is not healthy.
    Keep in mind ... a breeder can judge the quality much better than most people that have never seen a chin/chinchilla show before.  What you might consider "beautiful and must be show quality" may not be ... but you will love it and it will love you ... that's what really counts in the long run!  ::nod::
   To put in one lump sum ... a pet quality chinchilla is one that the breeder considers he/she  would not want to put in his/her herd to breed and reproduce, for what ever reason.   :-[

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 07:22:44 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up