Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving with a Chinchilla  (Read 1745 times)

Marie14625

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Moving with a Chinchilla
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:48:57 PM »

My husband had a lead in a new job.  If he gets it ( he has not even decided if he wants to interview) it will be moving to another state.  This would not happen till later this year if it happens.
If we move, it would mean about an 8 to 10 hour drive to get there with our stuff.  What should I keep in mind when preparing Trixie for a move?  I do have a small animal carrier (like you would have for a cat or small dog).  If I rigged it with a food bowl and water bottle would she be OK?  I mean we would be driving during the say..when she normally would be asleep. 

As I said, the move may not even happen, but I want to be 100% prepared in case it does.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Moving with a Chinchilla
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:18:41 AM »

You don't need a water bottle during the trip, even a trip that long.  It will just leak and get her all wet.  Put her in the carrier a day before you go so she can get used to it before the trip.

If you are traveling during the summer months make sure to precool the car before you put her in it, keep her out of the direct sunlight, keep the radio down in the car, and never leave her in the car with it off.

Take a cooler with frozen bottles of water just in case you have car trouble and need to keep her cool.

If you are traveling in cool weather you won't have to worry.

Keep in mind that she will be nervous in her new house so change her shavings a day or two before you go.  Then the day you leave bag up her day old used shavings and place them in the cage at the new house. Or use the shavings that were in her carrier during the trip. It will help her to have her own scent in her cage when she gets there.  Give her time to adjust before you try to take her out of the cage.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Marie14625

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Moving with a Chinchilla
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:22:41 AM »

:) Oh, that is great information.  Thanks alot.  She is sort of used to the carrier..as I use it to carry her from her cage to the room she plays in.  Then when she is finished playing, she hops right back into the carrier, to let me know she is ready to go home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up