Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proven  (Read 4321 times)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Proven
« on: June 25, 2006, 07:53:58 PM »

::silly::Hi all ...

I just got asked a question that I think is a good one for the new breeders that have not been around very long.

What does proven mean?

Proven means that a male chin has been able to father a litter of kits and/or a female has been able to carry and deliver a litter of kits.

Caution: This does not necessarily mean that they have produced good or high quality kits.

When looking for a breeder (male or female) and you have been told it is a proven breeder, ask for a picture of it's mate, a picture of the kits they produced, how many litters, how many were born in each litter and how many survived to weaning. 

Most breeders will not get rid of a good, high quality breeder without reason. 

(1)  Of course the reason could be that it usually only produces one kit in each litter.  If you are not intrested in large litters and/or not going into it as a business, go for it!

(2)  The female may produce a high quality kit, but, does not take good care of her kits ... you do NOT want this chin, if you are looking for a breeder.  You may not have a willing foster mom every time she delivers and then you will have dead kits that have starved to death or been abused/killed.

(3) Some chinchillas are to aggressive and will abuse/kill it's mate.  You do not want this one either.

(4) Some breeders just need the extra room and/or have other chins that are a higher quality.

Know your breeder!  Do not be afraid to ask questions ... if someone refuses to answer a question, look elsewhere!

::wave::
Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Proven
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 07:59:47 PM »

::silly::

OK, breeders, let's get more words & definitions listed!
  ;) Remember ... what you take for granted, newbies usually do not know!

Newbies to breeding ... or oldies ... start asking!!!
Jo Ann[/b][/i]

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:37:31 PM »

Those are some great points Jo Ann.
I purchased a "proven breeding pair" from a " not a rancher" though that's what he called himself, I now know the diff.
They could breed and have kits, but the kits were born early, small and with out fully formed ears.
3 tries I gave her as the first kit didn't make it, I hand fed the 2nd, and 3d litter that were born with cauliflower ears, and although the female kit seemed to pass the thumb test had problems during deliveries and can not be use for breeding.

I have become very selective over what pairs I put together,  ::nod::and I'm just a hobby breeder.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 07:40:36 PM »

::silly::Since I have yet to see anything but red on the bottom line of the ledgers year after year, I still consider myself a hobby breeder ... I am NOT in it for the money, but for the future health of all chinchillas. That may sound strange to some of you, but ...  I'm just one person ... there's over 500 'just one person' in this chinchilla club alone, so it does add up.   ::nod::

It does not matter if you breed just one pair, or 1,000 pairs ... your #1 goal should always be to breed the best you can breed for the future of all chinchillas. 

Some people will say, "but it's only one pair" ... but how many chins is that chin's genes going to be a part of 5 or 10 years from now??  ::shrug::  Many more than you think it might be! ???

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up