Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tradition vs. Mazuri  (Read 2377 times)

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Tradition vs. Mazuri
« on: March 08, 2007, 08:45:11 PM »

I currently have the chins on the new formula of Mazuri.  I have to have it shipped in, and till its all said and done I get it for 1.19/lb.  I just found out that I can get Tradition locally for .25/lb.  Thats a considerable savings, especially when you have a bunch of mouths to feed!

So I was wondering what you all thought about the comparibility of Tradition and Mazuri.  I liked the fact that the Mazuri (the new formula) has the acidopholus in it.  I guess thats something the chins don't necessarily need though.

Thoughts anyone?  Thanks!

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Tradition vs. Mazuri
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 03:56:09 PM »

There is no comparison.  Tradition is the better choice hands down!  I have used Mazuri before and I use Tradition for my herd now.  They are doing much better on it!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

ThreeLilChins

• Chinchilla Whisperers
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Three Lil' Chins
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:43:47 PM »

We use Mazuri. Most of the chin breeders we have got chins from use Mazuri. We thought about trying Tradition. As the old saying goes if its not broke don't fix it. Plus we are on the west coast. Tradition is not really that easy to find on this side of the country.
I wouldn't pay a $1.19 1lbs of Mazuri.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 07:49:15 AM »

::silly::

I liked the fact that the Mazuri (the new formula) has the acidopholus in it.  I guess thats something the chins don't necessarily need though.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me ... acidopholus, purchased in health food stores must be refrigerated after opening for it to maintain it's properties.  Wouldn't this be true if it were added to regular chinchilla pellets?

Here is a notice from one internet provider of acidopholus: "** This product is highly perishable, and is kept refrigerated to ensure its maximum freshness. ___ ships this item in an iced Styrofoam package, yet a small portion of its potency may be lost while in transit."

acidopholus is a "micro-flora" ... I guess that's the "politically correct way" to say
 it is "a good live bacteria"   :D  used to help the proper digestion of food.

There is, I understand a "stabilized" form of acidopholus ... maybe that is what they are using.    ::shrug::

Traditions was developed by a very well known long-time rancher ... it is great and has everything needed already in it.  Wish it was more easily available to me in my area we would have to drive 170 each way to pick it up.

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 07:51:02 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up