Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about travel and chins  (Read 4029 times)

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Questions about travel and chins
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:30:40 PM »

In May My Husband and I are taking a trip to Texas to see My family . Thing is I dont want to leave my little guy here to be looked after by someone strange.

We are driving and it will take about 24 hours to get there . Is it ok for me to take him with us ? If so then what would be the best way to take him ? In a carrier ? A smaller cage ? I do not want to do anything to hurt him .

Soon as we get there I can set up his cage and let him do his thing in what He is use to . Its just the trip that concerns me.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Questions about travel and chins
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:54:01 AM »

How long will you be gone?  If it is a weekend trip you can safely leave your chinchilla at home.  We are often away on the weekends and I just fill everyone's food and water Friday before we go and they are fine when we get back on Sunday.

Now if you are going for longer than that you will need to bring him with you.  We have found that the smaller the carrier the more secure the chinchillas feel.  Make sure the carrier has plenty of wire or holes for air circulation.  Keep the cage out of the sun (the middle of the back seat is usually a good choice) and keep the a/c on at all times if its the warm time of year.  This means no stopping for sit down meals. We also try to keep the radio down to keep them less stressful.
No water bottle should be given during the trip. 

Once you get where you are going take your chinchilla straight to your bedroom and set up the cage in a corner.  The walls on two sides will help your chinchilla feel more secure.  Then close the door.  Ask your family not to go in while he is getting used to the new place.  You don't want him having to get used to a new room and new people at once. 

After the first day you will be able to tell how your chinchilla is doing. If he is his old self and coming up to you in the cage like always its OK to show him off for a VERY SHORT time and never to more than 2 people at a time. If he is still acting nervous ask your family to respect his privacy.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 07:55:48 AM by chinclub »

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 09:42:07 AM »

We are going to be gone for a week . If it was just for a few days I would feel ok with leaving Him home but not for a week .

No water bottle for 24 hours ? is that ok to do ?

I do plan on letting him destress soon as we get there . I know he will be a little freaked out . He has such a good nature to him . It surprised me this weekend when one of my husbands friends came over for a visit and saw my sweet little guy . He warmed up immediately and even let him get him a little chin scratch .

I just want what is best for him . I have only had him for a few months and He is my little fluffy baby . Yesterday he finally let me pick him up and hold him . He was a little scared but nuzzled me . Thank you for the advice I will look into getting him a little carrier to travel in.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 10:32:12 AM »

::silly::Check the red print within your quote ...
We are going to be gone for a week . If it was just for a few days I would feel OK with leaving Him home but not for a week .

No water bottle for 24 hours ? is that ok to do ?
At shows, it is not unusual for a chin not to drink or even eat during that time.  These are very healthy and well adjusted chins we are talking about. 

I do plan on letting him destress soon as we get there . I know he will be a little freaked out . He has such a good nature to him . It surprised me this weekend when one of my husbands friends came over for a visit and saw my sweet little guy . He warmed up immediately and even let him get him a little chin scratch .
This is not unusual, but is NOT always the case with everyone.

I just want what is best for him . I have only had him for a few months and He is my little fluffy baby . Yesterday he finally let me pick him up and hold him . He was a little scared but nuzzled me . Thank you for the advice I will look into getting him a little carrier to travel in. 
I would definitely be spending as much time with him as possible, between now and the trip.  For him to be stressed as little as possible, he needs to know (and show you) that he trusts you and feels he can run to you for comfort.  So far, it doesn't sound like he is at that point yet.  He should come to you willingly, especially outside the cage.  Lots and lots of one-on-one time is needed.  Also, allow him to play/get use to the travel cage he will be in on the trip.   Take him out and ride around a little ... see his reactions to this.  Remember ... keep him cool ... do not put him where the heat will blow on him, and/or the heat produced on the floorboard of the car can get to him.  You might want to also get some cardboard and place it between the seat and the cage to avoid holes in the material of the car seat.

Be a good chin-mom and a good guest ... bring a plastic drop cloth and keep his cage and surrounding area clean while visiting.   ::)

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:34:48 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »

If your leaving him home, I would get a chin-sitter. :) If you take him, I think the main thing is watching the temps.
Make sure your car is nice and cool. Make sure not to have the radio too loud and if at all possible I'd try to make is a bit dim for him. :)
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »

If he's a mellow chin you shouldn't have any problems.
Some are wild from the get go, and stress easy, others you can do what you want.
Much depends on how much he trusts you at this point.
He should just sleep as usual during the day.
I have a friend whom took hers back to PEI for Christmas. He went under her plane seat in the smallest carrier, and they had a larger cage there waiting for him.
I took mine to a hotel for a night a few years ago when I had the house sprayed.
I had 8-10 at the time, and let them run in the bathroom. It was easier to clean up in there.
I didn't want them chewing anything either.
For a week long trip and a new chin, I'd take him.
Oh and your not planing on driving for 24 hours are you?
When ever you stop give him a water bottle and feed him.
An extra treat might make him feel he's on vacation too, but not too many.
Debbie.nl.ca

Deeliteful

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 10:09:04 AM »

Yes actually we are planning on driving for 24 hours . Straight through . We are also taking our dog who is like Chicos buddy . They nose to nose each other through the cage and Smokey the dog lays at the end of the bed a few inches from chicos cage all the time . He just watches chico and often they are watching each other between nose kisses.

Chico comes right up to me when ever I go to the cage and if I just wank in the room He is up on his pine shelf and holding onto the bars wanting me to come play . We have been taking the picking up and holding slowly . Its been 2 months now and yes we are at the holding and loving stage . By may I am hopeing to have him ultra lovey . Right now He is just really lovey.

I might have a chinchilla sitter but if she is going to be busy that week (might be because of new baby ) but there is a chance she wont be able to . If she cant then I will definatly be taking him with .

I thank you all for all the advice offered . I am sure I will have LOTS of questions in the future . I am a worry wart.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »

I am a worry wart

We all are when it comes to our little darlings, it's just over time and years with chins you learn what to worry about the most. ;D
I have to say I love your avatar Deeliteful ::thumbsup::
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 08:23:29 AM »

::silly::I love to hear Chico and your dog are buddies!  The fact you are taking both of them will probably be an additional "security" feeling for Chico.  What kind of dog do you have?

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up