Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Loki didn't like company..what to do?  (Read 12011 times)

Pookahsmom

• Pookahsmom
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Loki didn't like company..what to do?
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:40:01 PM »

Hi all, I am new here.  We have had chins now for about 2 yrs.  We got Loki last spring and he really seems to be quite tempermental at times.  Our household is compromised of myself, hubby, 4 cats and 6 chins.  Gizmo and his son are caged together as are Pookah and her kids.  (They are now 4months old)  Loki is by himself.

On Thanksgiving, we had 14 people over for dinner. My neice and nephew wanted to see the chins and were very excited.  They are 10 and 12.  Reaching into the other cages was uneventful and all let the human kids pet them.  When it came to Loki however, I reached inside and all he did was bark and bark and bark!  I have never seen him act like that. 

The next morning, I went to say hi to him and was greeted not only with a bark again but a viscious bite.  He latched on so hard he was stuck IN my finger! ::cry222::: He has since calmed down.  He has bitten in the past and has even been known to "charge" like he is going to bite but doesn't.  what is causing the behavior and what can I do about it?  Your comment would sure be appreciated.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Loki didn't like company..what to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 02:12:58 PM »

Its not uncommon for chinchillas to get stressed by stangers.  Thats why I have an office for people who come to buy chinchillas.  I rarely let people into my breeding room.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »

All chins are different. I have one that loves for people to come over. He will stand at the door and beg for anyone to pet him, but my other 2 hide in there houses until very one is gone.

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:01:49 PM »

::shrug:: Out of 31 chinchillas, we have a "Loki" here too.  His name is Pat.  Pat barks, chirps and often charges when you put your hand in his cage for any reason!  He does his flying out of nowhere thing and bites pretty hard, often right through your shirt even!  It always surprises me though because you just don't expect it.
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Pookahsmom

• Pookahsmom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:11:48 AM »

There are days he is soooo gentle and even will groom my face, hands etc.  Other days he is either "Cybil" or Dr Jekyle and Mr Hyde.  Just wish we could read him better those days.  I know it doesn't help that he is kept in the same room as the girls, but due to space we don't have much choice.  Maybe next time we will just wheel his cage into the bedroom while company is there.  I just don't want him to "feel" banished or punished.

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:11:36 AM »

Our Cheech will sometimes do the same thing. What I do now to avoid the biting (and he has taken a chunk out of the end of my nose... everyone laughred at me) is when I go and see him I put my hand near the cage, a few inches away. If he's being friendly he hop on over and I'll either tickle him through the bars or open the cage to play with him. If he's in a 'Loki' mood he'll snarl as he runs to the side of the cage and try to bit me. Then I'll just leave him alone for a while unil he's in a better mood. I think that's the best way I've found to assess his behaviour. It only doesn't work if he's playing out and gets behind somewehre he's not supposed to go. I usually put my hands on the floor, palm up and he'll run to my hands. On a bad day he charges and bites... But I assume it's just because he's scared, so just try to minimalise stressful situations for that one. Maybe that will help. But I suppose that's what you get for naming a chin after the Norse god of mischief.  ::)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 03:18:03 PM »

There are days he is soooo gentle and even will groom my face, hands etc.  Other days he is either "Cybil" or Dr Jekyle and Mr Hyde.  Just wish we could read him better those days.  I know it doesn't help that he is kept in the same room as the girls, but due to space we don't have much choice.  Maybe next time we will just wheel his cage into the bedroom while company is there.  I just don't want him to "feel" banished or punished.
He may be getting "moody/grouchy" when the girls are in season and he is frustrated because he can't get to them.    :blush2:   
When you have company, moving him to a different room would probably make him feel safer and more secure rather than being punished. 
Chins just do NOT like change or new people (as a rule) ... on the other hand, some seem to love everyone. 
Each has his/her own personality, securities and insecurities ... we just have to respect that.
Try keeping a journal on when he is fussy ... are you wearing a different cologne?  a different fabric?  cooking a special food?  been playing with another animal?  upset about something yourself?  t.v. or radio louder than normal?  late feeding him?  forgot his treat?  past playtime?  haven't spent as much time with him today as you usually do?   Lots of things can trigger a chin's mood ... just like it does us.

It will be interesting to see the results.  Chinchillas will often react to your mood.

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 03:19:39 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 06:30:59 PM »

Ooh, I just thought of something. Do you wash your hands before you go and see him? Maybe he thinks you tase nice.  :::grins::

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 06:41:48 PM »

yes, that could definitely be a factor.  I find when I give out treats I tend to get "tasted" by the chins who get their treats last because my hands smell like the treats by that point

Pookahsmom

• Pookahsmom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 09:21:46 AM »

That is sooo funnnny about the meaning of Loki.  We didn't know it when we named him but later i did look it up on the internet.  Pookah is also a mischief maker as the name means "shape shifter."  So we acally have 2 that live up o their names!! :2funny:
Will try the journaling.  AS we are having company this weekend too, will also try the moving to bedroom while they are here. As for the girls....well the little cradle robber!  They are only 4 mos old! :blush2:

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 12:03:35 PM »

There are days he is soooo gentle and even will groom my face, hands etc.  Other days he is either "Cybil" or Dr Jekyle and Mr Hyde.
;D
Yip got me a couple like that. Sometimes it's something I've done, others it's a cage mate,they may have been comfy and not wanted to be disturb at that time, or their just not in the mood.
Last week I caught a hold of a tail that slipped though. I must have tugged the fur loose, as next day the top inch was cleaned off.
He will not jump out on my hands now to get out for his run, I have to coax and beg, the end up giving him and empty bath, and then letting him on the floor.
Funny things is, if I go down in the day time and open his door, and I just did, out he jumps. He knows full well it's not run time, I'm only going to love him up and put him back.
Try it tonight at run time and he barks and grumbles and just will not come out to me, cause he knows I have to catch him again. His cage is just out side the room door, because that's where he wants it.
If I even put him just inside the door, and go down during the day, he barks and barks as soon as he See's me.
Put him back outside the door and he's an little sweetheart.
Listen closely and they will tell you what's wrong, or what they want.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 10:19:21 AM »

You have to remember they have very good memories too. If you do something they don't like they will think you're likely to do it again.
When Cheech realises he can get underneath something, like the bed or the cabinet, even though we block them off he has been known to spend an entire playtime trying to get under one or both of them. About a week ago it was the bed. And he was trying everything... He eventually tried one tiny hole that I had missed and had to sqeeze himself sideways, then spin round, then wriggle a little to get in. I ran over and caught the base of his tail just in time. I pulled him out, plopped him on the bed and quickly covered the hole, but he wouldn't come near ne for the rest of the day. I got back into his favour with treats, but sometimes if I have to stop him doing something he's not suppoed to he'll hate me for the rest of the day.

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 10:45:19 AM »

:2funny: I have a couple like that too.  They will pout for hours if they don't get their way about something.  Sometimes I think "this must be what having a toddler is like"

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 12:13:03 PM »

As for the girls....well the little cradle robber!  They are only 4 mos old!

::silly::Please keep in mind:

::silly:: A female chinchilla has the ability to get pregnant at 4 months of age, but is much to small/young to be carrying and delivering kits.   :hugs:

::silly:: A male chinchilla has the ability to impregnant a female at the tender age of 10 weeks!   ::gobananago::

::howdythere::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 06:15:18 PM »

It's nice to hear people talk about their chinchillas that are tempermental.  Sometimes I feel really alone and frustrated with my Ninja...it's two steps forward and one step back with chinnies like this.  After 4 years we've made a lot of progress though and thinking back to his behaviour when we first got him....we've come a long way!  Patience and understanding.  Their lifespan is so long you have a lot of time to work with.  ::nod::
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up