Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dental problems - what is the outlook?  (Read 2083 times)

janey.m

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Dental problems - what is the outlook?
« on: June 09, 2018, 07:31:30 AM »

It's been years and years since I've posted in the chinchilla forums. Unfortunately, my 9 year old boy George seemed to go off his food a few days ago and was looking a bit sorry for himself. Although his teeth look okay from examination, the vet thinks there might be root trouble. He's been prescribed painkiller/inflammatory and antibiotics orally once a day for now - which in itself is a bit of a mission as he's not the most cooperative of chaps. Instructions from vet to go back in 14 days to monitor if improvement and if not improvement ASAP. To ascertain problem properly will mean anesthetic and x-rays - vet has talked through risks of anesthetic and dental extraction.

He's been dosed for 2 days now - today will be his third day, and he still seems miserable. He's not really interested in food - I've tried softening up some pellets for him, and he's had a couple of raisins - I'm trying to think of things that are particularly appetizing but are chin-edible.

My current thoughts are to go back to the vet on Monday - and I think it will be either euthanasia or x-ray. My thoughts are to go for x-rays, as if he goes whilst under it's just a more expensive alternative to the big injection anyway, and if he pulls through then at least we will be certain what the problem is. At that point I'm thinking that if it is a smaller abscess to try extraction, but if it's major to put him to sleep at that point.

The problem is compounded by the fact that he has a companion and they have lived together for the majority of their lives. If George dies, that will leave Matilda on her own.

So I suppose my questions are:
1. Is preceding with xrays a good idea if viable, or should I just be looking at euthanasia?
2. Has anyone had success with dental extractions? Looking at posts her the outlook looks quite bleak.
3. If George dies should I try to either find her a new companion or see if I can rehome her with another chinchilla?

Obviously I just want to do whatever is best for the both of them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jane

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Dental problems - what is the outlook?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 05:52:12 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this. Unfortunately a dental extraction is not going to improve your pet's condition. You may know that in chinchillas (true for all rodents and rabbits) their teeth grow constantly, and it requires the opposite tooth to grind together when chewing and eating to maintain the teeth. Therefore you'd have to extract both teeth in theory, but then you have an issue with the whole mouth being asymmetrical, and that will probably cause malocclusion with teeth on both sides. I know of some people who have gone through the extraction process. Recovery is very difficult and the risk of other problems developing is very high, if not certain. The best extraction can do is maybe buy some more time, perhaps a few months before follow up exams and routine tooth trimming/reshaping (under anesthesia) are required.

In my opinion your best option is euthanasia unless you can rule out dental problems. Unfortunately an x-ray is your best option to confirm the diagnosis. If there are visible signs of issues with elongated roots that is a different kind of dental problem that is also terminal in chinchillas and often associated with malocclusion as well. This should easily show up on an x-ray.

As far as your other female chinchilla you are certainly free to try to pair with another animal. I strongly recommend another female or you will become an accidental breeder, and that is never advisable. Improper breeding practices can easily produce chinchillas with terminal dental issues.  Not all chinchillas are compatible with each other and most chinchillas prefer solitude. If you attempt to find another chin please quarantine for two to three weeks, purchase from a breeder who has a good reputation, and be prepared to house them separately if they turn out to be incompatible.

Antibiotics are very hard on chinchilla's digestive systems, especially if it has been compromised with dental issues. I expect you are already hand feeding. If you are not obtain instructions and supplies from your vet. The risk of the intestines shutting down (GI status) is very high and must be managed competently to save the animal.

I am very sorry to hear this. I hope this will help you make a decision on what your next steps should be.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

janey.m

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 04:54:38 AM »

Many thanks for your reply and advice. I think I will ask for x-rays and see if it is possible for George to be pts whilst under if results are not promising.  George is of course neutered. Once I know where we're going, I'll think about what to do with Matilda.

Chins4pets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:26:27 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear about your Chin.One of mine has had issues with her teeth for years now. If your looking for a food for your Chin to eat I use Oxbo Critical Care (I included a link below). This will give your Chin all it's nutrition. Just mix the power with water and feed with a syringe (your vet can supply a syringe if needed). Also keep an eye on the weight.Good luck

https://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Critical-Banana-Supplement-1-Pound/dp/B005KSOIJG/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1528733273&sr=8-19&keywords=oxbow+food

janey.m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 10:10:22 AM »

Hi

Sad to report that although the x-rays didn't the reveal dental problems we had expected, they did reveal an abnormality that was diagnosed as a tumour after further scans. Discussing it with the vet, further investigation / treatment would involve quite major surgery involving removal of the eye and extensive post-operative care that George, not being a 'cuddly' chin, would find very stressful if surgery was successful. We both felt that it would be in George's best interests to spare him this and have him pts whilst he was still under sedation. We collected him in the evening and have buried him in the garden. Greatest sadness is that it leaves Matilda on her own after living with her friend for 9 years.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 05:32:37 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear that. I think you'll find your other chinchilla is going to be just fine but will probably act slightly stressed for the next week or two before settling down.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up