Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Banana flavouring??  (Read 2097 times)

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Banana flavouring??
« on: April 02, 2018, 09:55:44 AM »

Hi guys I have a wee sick chinchilla and the vet has gave me recovery plus
Similar to this
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Supreme-Science-Recovery-Plus-for-Small-Animals/c15854/
He isn’t eating it from the syringe or my finger or a spoon so I’m wondering would it be safe to put like banana flavouring or like raisin flavouring in it to encourage him to eat it?
He isn’t taking it in any way I’ve tried and I think I’ve already stressed him out enough trying with the syringe.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rachael
Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Banana flavouring??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:40:24 PM »

A chinchilla that is not syringe feeding will need intensive care. I recommend consulting with your vet but here is my opinion.

The diet must be liquid and easily dispensable through the syringe. The syringe should be inserted behind the front teeth towards the side of the mouth. Don't be afraid to get the tip towards the back teeth. Do not shoot straight at the throat to avoid choking and aspiration. If the liquid is on the tongue and in the mouth and the chinchilla is not swallowing it is probably not saveable.

I am very sorry you are having this problem. Were you given a diagnosis?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 03:28:33 AM »

Erm no not really he never said much just that he had an icky tummy. He has very squishy poo but not diarrhoea. He is still eating normally and drinking normally and his poops are looking a bit better this morning.
The vet also gave us metacalm (a painkiller) Zantac syrup (to calm inflammation and help With acid reflux) and emeprid oral solutions ( to promote the passage of food through the stomach and into the intestine at a normal rate.) he has taken the other 2 medications fine (because he didn't take the syringe food I didn't give him the painkiller because it needs to be taken with food). I'm just wondering if it could be the taste of it which is why I'm wondering if banana flavouring could be added.
Thanks
Rachael

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 06:23:57 PM »

I've never heard of that before where a chinchilla won't syringe feed then eats normally. Usually when they stop syringe feeding recovery it means they've given up and are on their way out. I'm extremely glad to hear your chinchilla is eating and recovering.

I had a chinchilla that had soft feces once. They found coccidia, which is a parasitic infection. The medication they provided was very effective in just a few days.

As far as the taste of the food I don't know. The contents of the diet you are feeding are mostly uncontroversial.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 09:12:01 PM »

Did the vet do a fecal?
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:26:21 PM »

The medication the vet gave me seems to have done the trick. I also contacted the breeder we got him off and she suggested oats and wheetabix in small quantities as he wasn’t eating the recovery stuff. He is doing a lot better and poops are back to normal. No idea what caused it as I said the vet never gave me a diagnosis and no he never done a fecal either whatever that is. But now back to normal eating his pellets and hay in good quantities throughout the day and night however I don’t understand what you mean by what I feed them is uncontroversial?
Thanks very much for all your help guys.
(Sorry for the late reply I ticked to notify me of responses but didn’t seem too)
Rachael
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:31:17 PM by Rachael29 »

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »

I'm so glad to hear to hear your pet is recovering. If you can it might be a good idea to do a fecal culture. It's possible your chinchilla has some kind of parasitic infection that might flare up again later. If that happens anti-parasitic drugs are recommended.

What I mean by uncontroversial is that it's usual, normal ingredients that I would expect to find in a chinchilla diet. I'm also going to recommend, if you can, ordering some oxbow critical care and just try that and see if your pet will eat it. It will probably take a while to get it shipped in. It's a different recovery diet. Just feed some on a spoon. This kind of diet is better in case of an emergency in the future.

There are many different possible causes for this kind of problem. Anything from bad food, to changes in water (Perhaps you should switch to bottled water), to stress that might cause an underlying parasitic issue to flare up. You may never know what caused it and may never encounter it again.

Rachael29

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 05:00:19 PM »

Well ... it’s funny you would say stress. We were redecorating the room they are in so they were in and out of the room a lot and their cage was facing a different way etc. So that very well might have been the issue! If it flairs up again at any point then we know what to ask for!

Thanks again guys for the helpful advice. He is all better now back to his old self.

Rachael
Pages: [1]   Go Up