Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chew toys/ pooping  (Read 7291 times)

neffers

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
chew toys/ pooping
« on: June 10, 2006, 12:11:37 AM »

Hey, I was just wondering how much other chili owners give their pets to chew.  I give my chinchilla Obie 2-3 chews a week, but he still chews on everything when i take him out, even my walls! i dont know how to stop him!
Maybe giving him more chew would help but i dont want him to wear his teeth down too much.. i dont know if thats possible, but chinchilla chew toys are also really expensive, does anyone know cheaper, but safe alternatives to the ones in pet stores?
Secondly, I've had Obie for 6 months now and he still poops all over his cage, and when hes out for play time, is this normal.. and is there anything i COULD do about it? i thought they were suppose to pick a corner of their cage by now. well any incite would be appreciated, thanks  ::)::)

HarveyTheChin

• View Profile
Re: chew toys/ pooping
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 12:22:15 PM »

From everything i've read Chinchillas pick a spot in their cage to pee, but they can't control where they pee.  And everyone who I have asked said to just put toilet paper, papertowel cardboard rolls in the cage.  I also use an empty box of raisins.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 04:30:24 PM »

::silly:: Hi!

As a general rule chins will pick a favorite corner or spot to urinate in their cage ... There is a litter pan for ferrets that I have heard works for chins, too.  Once you figure out where the spot is, you put the pan there ... it's a ceramic container (used for solid floor cages).  Or if you have a wire floor, find a small flat pan to place in the tray under the chin in the area he normally urinates in ... or use newspaper to line it.  ::nod::

As far as his poops ... they will be dropped anywhere and everywhere he goes.  Keep a hand vac close by when he is out.   ;D

Also ... when you are holding a chin (properly - supporting his hind legs) and he starts wiggling and squirming wanting down ... he has to go pee ... they usually will not urinate on you, if you will let him down in time, but this is his way of letting you know he has to 'go' and now! :-[

::wave::
Jo Ann
[/i]
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

neffers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 04:46:19 PM »

thats for the info, very helpful!  :::grins::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 05:08:42 PM »

::silly:: Hi,

:doh: I forgot about the toys ... empty toilet paper or paper towel rolls are great for chins to play with. 

If you go to your local hardware store/lumber yard, you can get 1" x 2" boards of various lengths ... UNTREATED PINE wood only!

It is very easy to cut these with a hand saw into small blocks the chins can chew on and play with.  You can go from 1" square to 1" x 4" and they are still easily handled by most chins.  You can make a whole bag of chew blocks for what you pay for less than a dozen in a pet store.

If you have no way to cut the wood, ask for shims ... they are close to the right size for them to play with and chew on.  Or, some places will cut them for you.

Do not give your chin cat or dog chew toys ... their systems are not made to digest them.  Chinchillas will chew and consume anything they can get their little teeth into ... even if it is not good for them.  Anything from metal to electrical wires!

Jo Ann
[/i]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:21:51 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 11:48:43 AM »

Popsicle sticks are good too, and mine love those grape vine wreaths from the craft shop.
Pine is easy to split with a hammer and chisel too.
Oh and cup holders from Tims and places are fun as well.
Tubes from the news print, or other types last a long while.
Debbie.nl.ca

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 09:20:34 AM »

I take a bunch of toys out with me for playtime, so that my walls don't get nibbled. I also use TP rolls as chew toys and hay dispensers. :)
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 10:58:57 AM »

::silly:: Regardless of how much you give them to chew on, they will not wear their teeth down to far.  Their teeth grow constantly, about 1/4 to 1/2" per month.

Chins will taste/nibble on most anything ... just to see what it is ... careful supervision is best when they are out to play.  ::nod::

Chinchillas must have hay, a lava stone and chew blocks at all times.  :P

The paper stuff is good for them to play with and chew on, too.  The little bathroom 'Dixie cups', 2 0R 4 ounce size, are fun for them to play with ... you should see two playing tug of war with one.   rofl  No plastic/wax coated ones, please.   ::nono::

Taking extra things out to chew on and play with will help keep him occupied, but still watch him closely!

Thanks Debbie, I forgot about the Popsicle sticks ... they are great for giving them yogurt and meds or Nutri-Cal,  also.

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

kathye512

• Luv those chin's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 09:39:56 PM »

I am fortunate enough to own parrots as well and recycle their toys for my chins.  My bird eat all the food and shred all the rope and leave the wood pieces so I give the wood to them.   I give them the emty toilet papper rolls and but the cute abc block chews from the pet store, they last the longest. I have given up on the poop.  I bought a small shop Vac to clean in and around the cage, as they were clogging the regular vacuum.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 03:31:44 AM »

::silly:: A shop vac is almost a must!  Besides stopping up your regular vacuum cleaner, you don't want the moist bedding making the papper vacuum bag wet and fall apart when you try to remove it.  Or, if it sets very long without being emptied, the odor, bacteria and stain will often remain on a fabric sack of a vacuum cleaner.  ::puke:: Not healthy for chinchilla or human.

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up