Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: coco not doing much of anything  (Read 1276 times)

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
coco not doing much of anything
« on: March 22, 2016, 05:52:04 PM »

hay guys.
just a quick one - over the past week whenever coco has been out the cage for play time he has just been sitting under the cage not moving not doing much of anything. he seems fine in the cage - I'm sure he is eating, drinking and pooping fine  there's no more or no less then there usually is -- he is eating loads of apple wood sticks but he just comes out the cage and sits under it until its time to go back in (roughly) not like he can tell time but when shadow goes in he does aswel.
anything this could be? any suggestions?
Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: coco not doing much of anything
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 06:51:17 PM »

My first guess is that he's detecting something in the room that makes him uneasy.
Second guess is it could be a territorial behavior, defending the other chinchilla by holding his ground.
Third guess is something happened outside of the cage recently that caused pain or stress and he's afraid it could happen again.
Fourth guess is it could be a health issue, although unlikely. Just watch his weight carefully for a couple of weeks.
But as you know chinchillas are complicated animals. Maybe you'll figure it out and maybe you won't.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Rachael29

• Appreciation points: 4
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:10:52 AM »

My husband has been in the room a few times with me. They know who he is but it's usually just me that lets them out because of the time of night they get out. Might be that. Or could be territorial as when shadow is about he goes right back under. I was thinking maybe a health issue but he's eating and everything fine. There had been some noise recently we were cleaning the decking and my husband was working on his car which was quite noisy. Ohh and I've had a chest infection so I have been coughing a lot while I've been in the room could that be it? Thanks for the advice! ☺️
Coco and Shadow. Onyx and Spyro <3

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 01:39:26 PM »

If you're making a lot of noises your pets aren't used to I would expect they might behave differently. Next time your pets are out try playing the stereo or TV softly in the background. It could help.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up