Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Our Dave  (Read 5469 times)

paulfg

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Our Dave
« on: October 19, 2006, 10:07:29 PM »

My boy Dave passed away today suddenly at age 4 years 3 months.  He was a very beautiful beige weighng 771 g.  I am broken hearted because he died so suddenly.  This morning he was his normal self - looking for his breakfast (mini wheat).  I came home early from work to find him in a semi-letharigic state.  Not his normal chipper self.  He was our watchdog and he loved his cagemate Rocki.  (They had 2 babies together in 2002).  Anyway I went over to see him and he really wasn;t interested.  I offered him a dust bath he never budged.  I instantly called the vet and was there in 20 minutes.  His temp was fine but he was still letharigic.  The Vet heard a mumor which I told him he had since childbirth (he was a rescue from a pet store).  Everything else was fine.  The vet did some x-rays and wanted to take some blood but could not get any.  He was getting worse.  His x-rays came back clean.  He started having tremors and the vet told me to say my goodbyes.  I went in and petted him for a minute and then he just stopped - I guess he waited to say goodbye to me?  My heart was crushed instantly.  He died within 1 1/2 from the time I rushed him to the vet.  My wife is at a nursing conference and was not home - and Dave is her #1 man.  I had to call her and tell her he died - excruciating pain. 

Anyway I asked the doctor to perform an autopsy because I want to make he didn;t die from a genetic deficiency because Rocki is from the same family and they had babies.  The doctor called tonight around 10 to inform me that Dave's left kidney ruptured but he could not figure out why.  He thinks Dave may have had some trauma today that did this although I can;t figure out what would have caused it.  His cage is pretty safe but you just never know?  They will be studying the orgams to let us know if there was a genetic problem.

Rocki is totally depressed, more than me if you can believe it. I wish I could do something for her.  They were a very happy couple and the were always next to, on top off or within reach of each other.  She looks lost.  It is just after midnight and I can not sleep - I will stay up with her tonight and keep her company. 

Pet store animals don't deserve what happens to them and their owners don't deserve to watch them die so young. I was happy to give him 4 solid spoiled years of total love.  I will miss Dave terribly because he was the sweetest chin who just loved his girl Rocki!

Keep Dave and more importantly Rocki in your thoughts.  Any suggestions about getting her (& me and my wife Trish) through the depression would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Our Dave
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »

He's in chinnie heaven now ... with all the other little ones ... playing freely, no cages, no restraints ... having a great time with those who went before him.  I'm sure my little Mocha is there to greet him.  She died 4 years ago and it still hurts. Yesterday, I got a new chinchilla book in from the UK that I provided pictures for ... almost 3 years in the making ... of course the first picture I see in it is my Mocha and I cried.
    The place they make in your heart can never be replaced by another, but there is always room for more ... chins give you their unconditional love and attention ... 10 times over what you give them ... and they try to please you in every way they can.
     The way you can honor Dave the most is to remember all the wonderful things he did to make him special to you and to make sure his mate, Rocki, does not go down hill in depression.  Give her lots of love and extra attention at this time ... chinchillas have been known to mourn themselves to death, that's what my Mocha did, when an adopted orphan that she cared for for 5 months died.  Rocki can help you as much as you can help her at this time.  Extra love, time and attention will help you all.
      Our thoughts are with you, your wife and Rocki.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

paulfg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 11:28:12 AM »

Thank you for your very kind words Jo Ann.  We have lost 4 chins over the years and everyone hurts a little more than the last.  You hope that you do all you can to keep them happy and healthy.  Rocki is not herself obviously but I stayed up with her until 4 am and kept her company.  I will do the same tonight.  I don't want her to feel alone anymore than she already does.

Thanks again - you are very sweet!

Paul

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »

I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine. :( Your all in my thoughts.  :'(
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 02:57:52 PM »

I am sorry for your loss. Our thughts our with you.  :'(

paulfg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 06:09:38 PM »

Thank you and Chingirl!  You kind words are appreciated.  Dave is REALLY missed.  I broke down today because I got up and got his cereal out and didn't realize it till I got to the cage.  Good habits are hard to break.  He was so great.  Thanks again it does mean a lot to me and my wife! (and Rocki!)

Paul

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 06:18:35 PM »

Oh Paul,
I'm so sorry for you loss. ::cry222:::
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up