Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bar Biting  (Read 777 times)

jannugimes

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Bar Biting
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »

Hi guys,

Just asking for some advise and tips please. My 11 year old Chinchilla Quey always bar bite and now she keeps giving herself gum n mouth injuries. She is on her own like she always have been, her cage as plenty of enrichment and hiding places and she gets to come out to play every night. When she goes back into her cage after her play she will still do it. I have put toys in the places she does it but doesn't seem to work.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Bar Biting
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »

There are products made for cats and dogs that makes things taste bitter so they stop chewing on things. You might try some of that. Just don't use a ton of it because I don't know how safe it is for chinchillas. I don't know if that will work but might be worth a try.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Bar Biting
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 12:59:16 PM »

Have you tried putting things actually across or woven in to the bars where she chews?  You can take flexible twigs or buy a pack of palm shredder made for parrots.  Then when they go to bite they get a mouthful of a chewable object.   Usually animals do not suffer any problems bar biting but occasionally you get one that is so insistent and it becomes such a habit that they start to damage their teeth.  I also wonder if hanging bells in the area might entice her to make noise with those.  You can get flexible hanging toys, chains, and solid bars (sold to put veggies on for small animals) that have bells.  Some bells are removable and you can stick drilled wood coins or blocks on them.  The drilled coins are more interesting to chins because they are less processed and often still have bark.  Chinchillas love things with bark left on it.  Especially if the green layer is still there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up