Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Difference between dogs and chinchillas. Half joking half serious ;)  (Read 922 times)

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile

Having owned both dogs and a chinchilla, I would say that chinchillas do give back joy so it's worth the amount of work you put in, but they have a far lower input/output ratio than a dog:

1. For a dog, you put in a *bit* of effort, and he treats you like his best friend. Spend 5 minutes a day giving him your full attention, and he worships you. "You're going to pet me??? I'm SO HAPPY!!! May I... may I PLEASE cuddle? I'll understand if you don't want to, but it means the world to me... I love you so much, please hug me and love me forever!"

2. For a chinchilla, you have to put in a LOT more effort, just to make them "not uncomfortable with you touching them". ... "Oh, hello... you want to scratch my itchy spots? Ok, I'll give you just 1 minute of my time, *IF* you do a good job! Oh you want to cuddle? I'm not really into cuddling. ... Let's play! And by play, I mean you entertain me when I feel like it, and when I get distracted I'll go do something else."

lol. But I still loves my little popsicle to bits!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Difference between dogs and chinchillas. Half joking half serious ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »

I know exactly what you mean. My first chinchilla was essentially a rescue that I bought off of craigslist. He developed an abscess from malo about 7 months after I had him and felt it wise to have him euthanized because his health was very poor and I didn't need to be dealing with regular tooth filings. He was a real beast the whole time I had him and was very difficult to tame or even hold. He was also one of those rare males that spray urine on you when they get upset and he would jump passed the door of his cage and I'd have to corner him and get sprayed. I can't count the number of times I was bitten by that animal too something my new chin does not do. Over time though he became calmer and I could see progress almost every week. It got to the point where I could hold him for several minutes and he would even fall asleep in my lap but it took tons of effort. In a sense I almost feel like that one had more value to me than the very tame and beautiful chinchilla I have now that started out that way.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »

They are like that dogs are different they are more like u feed me I love u and chins are like I am going to have to learn to trust u then u my friend
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »

Having owned both dogs and a chinchilla, I would say that chinchillas do give back joy so it's worth the amount of work you put in, but they have a far lower input/output ratio than a dog:

1. For a dog, you put in a *bit* of effort, and he treats you like his best friend. Spend 5 minutes a day giving him your full attention, and he worships you. "You're going to pet me??? I'm SO HAPPY!!! May I... may I PLEASE cuddle? I'll understand if you don't want to, but it means the world to me... I love you so much, please hug me and love me forever!"

2. For a chinchilla, you have to put in a LOT more effort, just to make them "not uncomfortable with you touching them". ... "Oh, hello... you want to scratch my itchy spots? Ok, I'll give you just 1 minute of my time, *IF* you do a good job! Oh you want to cuddle? I'm not really into cuddling. ... Let's play! And by play, I mean you entertain me when I feel like it, and when I get distracted I'll go do something else."

lol. But I still loves my little popsicle to bits!

Yea haha my dad thinks there to difficult but he still has that ehh but i know i can put my time and effort to take care of them and maintain for them :)

Hoppinchins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »

Ha. I totally agree!
Pages: [1]   Go Up