Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possessiveness/ jealousy?  (Read 2327 times)

Mogsy

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Possessiveness/ jealousy?
« on: November 26, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »

I recently moved in with my boyfriend, and brought my chinchilla with me. My fluffball seemed to take the move well, but I've noticed a new behavior. When interacting with my boyfriend while I'm not there, Chester is calm, happy and receptive to interaction and affection. But if I'm there (not even necessarily right next to them, even if I'm in the house!) Chester gets abnormally aggressive toward my boyfriend. Barking, grabbing onto the bars of his cage and kind of headbutting. I've never seen him exhibit this kind of behavior with anyone else, friends or roommates.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know bonding can take a while, and we spend time with Chester both together and individually, but this is still super weird. Thanks, chinlovers and chinfriends!

-Mogsy and Chester
Mogsy & Chester (The All Fatter), Thor and Loki

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Possessiveness/ jealousy?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:03:41 PM »

I've heard of it but I've never experienced it myself. Chinchillas tend to bond to one person unless they grow up interacting with multiple people on a regular basis. I do have to admit that sometimes I feel my chinchilla is defensive of me when others come into my room by observing his behavior in his cage. They are remarkable animals.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »

::)  Chinchillas feel the full array of human emotions ... including 'the big green-eyed monster' know as jealousy.    Been there ... lived through that!

We have one chin Peetunia (note the spelling) ... she claimed my husband for her own.  If he puts his arms around me or kisses me in front of her she goes into fits and will spray me every time I pass her cage for the rest of the day ... to let me know he (my hubby) is HER man, not mine.   rofl

We have another chin, Missy, she dearly loves my husband and demands his attention.  If he walks into the room and does not speak to her ... ignores her and goes straight to the chair (all the way across the room) to his computer without acknowledging her first ... she not-so-politely lets him know she is miffed at being ignored and 'rains on his head' ... female chinchillas rarely spray unless they or their kits are in danger, but they will sometimes do it to let you know they are upset or that they want you attention ... they are VERY accurate up to 7 feet away.   Needless to say, Bill rarely forgets to speak to her as soon as he enters the room (because she never misses!).    :D

Missy will sometimes play dead to get your attention ... she lays up on her hut, upside down, head hanging over the edge, feet and legs straight up in the air ... not moving at all.   We run to her and as soon as we do, she, hops down and runs to the door of the cage, as if totally innocent of anything wrong,  for a loving chin scratch or belly rub.  You gotta love their little antics.   :2funny:

So goes a day in the life of a chinchilla breeder/lover!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »

My chin doesn't really like chin scratches or belly rubs... Any tips?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »

Chinchillas don't like belly rubs. At least from what I gather. They do have somewhat of a reflex though that causes them to start grooming themselves if you touch them under their chin. A tame animal will tip its head back so you can cover more area. You can lightly pinch some of the fur in your fingers and it will feel like another chinchilla grooming them.
The absolute best way to do this is wait until your chinchilla starts grooming then open the cage and gently start touching and scratching it under the chin and around the front legs. It may take many tries so be patient. The goal is to come in slow and casually enough that you don't distract your pet from grooming. If you do just pause for a few moments and wait as chinchillas seem to stick to a set amount of time for grooming.
And don't forget to occasionally pause and let your chinchilla groom the back of your hand. It is a great way to interact.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:09:31 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »

Chins... Groom themselves?

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »

Yes and each other by pulling their teeth through their fur. Mine grooms the hair on my arm. If he does it too hard just pull back for a second. Below is a good example of what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZh43tSwxnI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He's more likely to do this right after his dust bath.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:14:09 AM by GrayRodent »
Pages: [1]   Go Up